Headliner Replacement

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Erick-Mav, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    Here's another question...I need to change the headliner and know that I can get the material off the internet to use. However, during installation how important is it to remove the front and back window and side door upper weatherstripping? The guy that gave me an estimate of $145 (labor only) said he uses a tool to insert the headliner into the window areas. I'm wondering if this will look good or not? If the windows need to be removed to do it right, then I guess that I would have to get all new window gaskets and door weatherstripping.
    -Erick

2. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    $145.00 do it! Best price i found was $600.00

3. LightBlue70Mav

LightBlue70Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1972 Maverick Grabber
    i had mine done, but i replaced the gaskets, and had the back package shelf covered, total cost: $190.00

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Wow ... cheapest I could find to install mine was $250 ... and I had all the glass removed!

5. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    I have seen guys replace headliner without taking out glass. It can be done.
    For that price, I would ask for a reference first. I agree with DM and the others,
    that sounds really affordable.
    Good luck with it. If you have original gaskets, it may be the time to take the
    glass out and replace them along with the headliner if it's in the plans and budget.

Good luck.

Seth

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I think I paid $50 or $100 to have mine installed. I took it to the upholstery shop with no glass, no weatehrstrip, and I supplied the headliner.

7. PART-TIME

PART-TIME Member

Vehicle:
    Grabber Clone
    During my restoration (no glass or gaskets on car) 75.00 installed. I supplied headliner. Oh yeah, he came to my house to install it.

8. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    We had all the glass and weatherstripping off the 76' Maverick when we put the headliner in it. It makes the job a whole lot easier. There is a lot of pulling and stretching involved with installing headliners so you pretty much have to remove the glass and door weatherstrips to get all the wrinkles out. My husband installed the headliner himself. It's the first one he installed in almost 30 years. It turned out great. :)

9. Mavericknutt

Mavericknutt member

Vehicle:
    1971 maverick 2dr m2 front end coil over ladder bar rear suspension 472 ci. C-6 tranny
    We had a put a headliner in my car mini meet:clap: Mark,Matt,Neal,Elliot,and I had fun last spring and got mine installed (Mark Being the expert of corse) had all the trim and glass out was'nt to bad at all and turned out looking nice:)