Headliner

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by huskerhound76, Nov 10, 2005.

1. huskerhound76

huskerhound76 Love My Mav

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick 2DR 250-6 auto....restore car... 1974 Mav 4dr..parts car. 1976 Mav 4dr IL 6 auto..work car
    Ok guys...takin a break from my tranny problems....replacement on the way.....gonna do some interior work....mostly fine inside....

Gonna work on headliner.....One bad spot......actually one whole seam is no longer sewed together......can i just use needle and thread....sew it all up then tighten everything when im finished??...or is there another way to do this??If anyone has worked on something like this your experienced info would be greatly appreciated.....The fabric is in great shape so i don't really wanna have to replace it all....Probably take a break today wait on some responses.......Gotta get it out of the shop here at work soon so i wanna get something accomplished while it's here....

hope you guys have some hints for me...

Jeremy
    tranny problems can def lead a guy to:drink: !!!!!

2. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    Same thing happen to my headlinder (dry rot seams, hey the car's old)

Only real way to fix it is to replace it.

A new headlinder will cost about $87.00 (any color)

Both front and rear windows have to come out to do the job right.

Now being that the car is old that means the window gaskets are old and dried out (kinda like some of the guys on this board) They will fall apart,so you need new ones. Figure about $100.00 for both.

Now if you have the time,tools and skills to do this job by yourself you make the replacement for less then 2 bills.

Now if you have it done for you (like I did) It's cost me $212.00 labor to install the linder, and $250.00 to remove and replace the glass .Not cheap, it looks good and has new gaskets, no leaks etc.

So which way are you going to do?

3. Ford_Motorheads

Ford_Motorheads Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    1961 Falcon, 1967 Ranchero, 1969 Gran Torino GT, 1974 Ranchero GT 1976 Mustang Stallion, 1977 Mustang coupe, 1978 Mach 1, and 2 1978 Cobras
    Just curious, why would you have to remove the windows? :)

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Correctly installed ... the headliner wraps around the windshield openings. It is glued down and the further held in place by the windshield gaskets. Pull the weatherstripping around your door jams ... it wraps the same way around the windshield openings ...

Unfortunately ... this is another job best left to the professionals if you want it to look nice ...

5. huskerhound76

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick 2DR 250-6 auto....restore car... 1974 Mav 4dr..parts car. 1976 Mav 4dr IL 6 auto..work car
    ok it's the seam located if you are sitting in the cab and look up and back...right behind the dome light......it seems to me that with heavy duty thread a guy could sew it back together....would take like an eternity.....but i think it could work......once again i need wife's digital camera to show ya.......the headliner is in awesome condition except for that one seam......btw....nothing is gettin worked on by a professional....lol....at least not the first go round...lol.....im either gonna get this done myself or die tryin.....

Jeremy

6. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    If you are gonna take it out ... just replace it ... there are sure to be areas that are dry rotted .. like back by the flipper windows ... it may look great but the once strong vinyl will now be more like a thick piece of paper ready to be ripped. Many guys here can tell you how easily they put holes in the headliner while working inside and pulling panels since they tear so easy after 30 years ....

7. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I have to agree with Tom and recommend replacing the whole headliner. Once one seam seperates due to the threads being dry rotted, they all tend to be dry rotted as well, even if they don't look it. The original headliner in my 77'Maverick was in great shape except for the one seam seperating. All I had to do was push up on the other seams to discover they were all dry rotted. Sewing them back up really doesn't work too well. It's a lot less frustrating and will last much longer to just go ahead a replace it.

8. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Anyone know where I may be able to get some header bows (the little wire thingys) that hold the headliner in? The owner before me thought it a good idea to remove and bend the ones in the old Mav. :coco: What a putz.

9. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Duct tape.

10. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    i used the clear packing tape on mine:lolup:

11. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Where at in VA are you? I have a set.

12. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Hampton. 23669

13. huskerhound76

Vehicle:
    ok all, will take your advice and replace it. where is the best place to look for new headliners? Probably something im not going to jump into right away....

Thanks for all the info everyone...
    Jeremy