heater core removal

Discussion in 'Technical' started by papawdarrell, Dec 4, 2004.

1. papawdarrell

papawdarrell papawdarrell

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    After 7 yrs. of being parked, finally got to drive a little. Then I noticed the little Mav was bleeding in the floor board (green). :cry:
    Haven't looked real close yet, but does the whole heat unit have to come out and are there any bolts on the firewall that have to come out to remove the heater core? :confused:
    I've never changed a heater core in anything, that was easy, so I don't expect this to be any different.
    Have no air in this Mav, Does the tray under the dash have to come out also?

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Your lucky you don't have A/C in this particular case. The heater core is fairly easy to get to and replace. It's been awhile since I did it on the COmet I had, but if I remember right, there were a few nuts on the firewall in the engine compartment that had to be removed. Other than that, everything is accessed from under the dash. The lower dash assembly will have to be removed to allow access.(y)

On A/C equipped cars, it's a MAJOR PAIN in the ass, and almost enough to make you hate Mavericks...:cry:

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ppd,

do a "search" at the top for ...heater core....go to page 2....see post ( need some heater core help ) by "289mav... that should "get er done" (y) ...frank...

p.s. last but not least... thank scott for the info...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    No need to remove the entire heater box....just the access cover. Held on with clips ( a lot of them).

the_main_mav likes this.
  5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I've done it a few times over the years like Craig said. Just remove the outer part of the case. It's not too terribly bad.

6. papawdarrell

papawdarrell papawdarrell

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Thanks guys, I'm still learning how to find things around here. 71, I sent Scott an e-mail Thanking him. Once again ya'll have proved what I have told everyone since I joined, everyone here is willing to help and someone will have the info that is needed for just about any question.

the_main_mav likes this.
  7. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Just replaced my brothers heater core & put in a 3 core radiator, in his 73 Maverick. Only took 2 hours to complete it all (including replacing the heater hoses). I wish the new cars were that easy......

8. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    they ARE that easy. a lot less effort...open your wallet slowly, bend over, count to ten. money gone. car fixed. wasn't that easy?