HELP - Centari paint users

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Acornridgeman, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Help - Jean, Gunslinger, anybody else out there that uses Centari?

Since I moved here, I've been dealing with a local supply house. They handle DuPont paints for their top self. I have not been a user of DuPont products in the past and am not real familiar with their quirks and tricks. I just picked up some Centari AE, 793S hardner, 8022S reducer. When I picked it up, I asked the guy behind the counter what ratios to use. He said for best results use 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer and 1/4 part hardner (that would be 8 - 4 - 1 in oz ratios). But when I read the ratios on the website at DuPont and then on the can it says an 8 - 2 - 1 - ratio. I use an HVLP gun so I could go a little higher on reducer to prevent orange peel, but he recommended double the reducer?

Question is what do you mix Centari at and what tricks for working with Centari have you found different from other paints. He also said Centari cures with sunlight and to get the parts into the sun after they are tack free to cure them. Any thoughts on this? I can do it with some of the bigger parts, but the car itself is staying inside. UV lamps maybe?

thanks,
    Eric J

2. 73mtymav

73mtymav Member

Vehicle:
    1973 maverick
    I sell Dupont paints and have always mixed them 8parts paint, 2parts reducer, 1part hardner. Sometimes in cooler weather I've had to use a little less reducer, just gotta play it by ear.:)

3. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Thank you. That is what DuPont recommends so I guess that is where I will start at. Funny, during my search on the web for more info on this, I read on a bodywork web site the same 8-4-1 ratio too. I'm using the Centari for all the interior and door jams, so 90% of this paint will be covered up by carpet and headliner anyway. So I can do a little experimenting with it without too much worry. The exterior will be a BC/CC.

Any insight into it needing sunlight to cure right?

Thanks again,
    Eric J

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Yeah, sunlite sure helps it cure. But heat inside a garage or a lamp will help it cure.
    Dan

5. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Dan, what ratio do you use? Any tips for working with it?

Eric J

6. waynes fords

waynes fords Member

Vehicle:
    1973 grabber,2004 ford dually,2000 gulfstream motorhome,2003 ford expedition,66 mustang gt
    I use to use Centari on a fleet of ambulances we keep up and it's good paint but you don't need to be in a hurry with it, it's not as forgiving as some other products such as PPG or Sherwin Williams, that ratio sounds about right as I remember but your area would neccesitate alittle creativity.

7. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Eric, I really use the ratio they indicate, but then I usually am not happy with it and I just use my old reliable method of seeing how fast mixed paint leaves my stir stick. Yeah, its not high tech, but seems to work for me. But as always, close to the recommended mix is best, then adjusting for humidity and temp changes. I usually mix just a couple cups at a time, to give me options if I need later. My Stallion is mostly centari still. If using hvlp mix it a little thin for metallics, and even solids. I usually like a slower reducer too, higher temp if that helps. Lays it on slicker. And yes I agree, sometimes in cool weather too much reducer will cause runs. I never paint centari under 70 degrees inside temp. Got to keep it somewhat warm or it wont flash well.
    Dan