Help deciding on paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Dianne, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick, 1973 Grabber, 1973 Pinto Wagon, 1978 Mustang King Cobra II, 2004 Mustang Convertible
    If you look at my welcome, I've got the start going now in stripping the car to metal (I posted pics). Finding there was bodywork done before. Oh well, it is what it is. I sent an email to someone on ebay about the paint, but no return - saw a woman's name I guess.

BTW, I found an upholstery shop here in Nampa, ID that will do the seats for $750.00 :-D I have a way to go yet, but having him do the VW Bug next week :-D

This is the paint I was thinking about, seems reasonable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grabber-Blu..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2ec2870288&vxp=mtr

It seems like everything is there. I'm painting under the hood, trunk, door jams and so on. I'm thinking a beige for the inside with grabber blue and beige seats on split bench (I am SO happy to have a bench seat again). But for the paint, is 1 gallon enough?

What do you use to clean the paint gun? Some type of thinner. I did rattle cans before with clear from a place on the web where I got the supplies. It looked as good as a factory paint. I bought a compressor and air gun and hose to do it. Just don't know what you clean it with...

Anything is helpful and thanks guys...

Dianne

Here are the pics so far:

The find:
    [​IMG]

The start today. Using friends kids and paying them. These young men really seem to enjoy it LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick, 1973 Grabber, 1973 Pinto Wagon, 1978 Mustang King Cobra II, 2004 Mustang Convertible
    How would a 73 VW Beetle look in Grabber Blue? Dark blue basketweave seats and door panels... Hmmm just curious, was going to do a powder blue with pearl, but grabber blue sounds good too. Maybe not, what do you all think?

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I am not sure beige would look good with Grabber blue. :huh:

4. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    You're probably right. But I have those beige door panels. Does painting them work well with that vinyl spray? I have to spray some arm rests I got on ebay that are green. What color do you think I should do? White?

This is the color inside now.

[​IMG]

5. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I wouldn't just respray those door panels anyway, they are all distorted. Good clean ones are available, or have them reupholstered.

6. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    OK, where do you get them? Can you give me a link? And what color are you doing with your grabber blue 72 Maverick inside? White?

Where in Connecticut? I grew up in Fairfield :)

7. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    My friend used 1.75 gallons with name brand cheap quality paint and needed another quart to make it look better. I used 1 gallon with name brand high quality paint and it came out ok with some paint left over. You get what you pay for. You need to stick with the same name brand product that is designed to mix with the paint or it might make a mess.

8. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    OK, what would be a good place to get the paint and what paint and what would I need? I'm somewhat new at doing paint from something other than a rattle can :)

What about this one, it's PPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPG-Deltron..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5894299101&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

Dianne

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Lacquer thinner will clean your spray equipement quite well. Just dont let the paint sit in the equipement. Clean it as soon as you are done useing it.
    Word of warning about paint stripper. Its going to get into the nooks and crannies around the window trim and body panel gaps...I recommend you take the car apart (remove the body panels and trim pieces) strip the panels on a work stand. The stripper will lift paint you cant get to with the car assembled, and it will wreak havoc once you start primeing and painting the car. You gotta take it down to do it well/right. Good luck!!!

10. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the thinner thing. We're going to take the fenders off next week. We're not doing the stripping up to the molding and going to use an orbital around that with tape so I don't ruin what's there. After the stripping in and out and in the jams we're planning on using rust remover to get some of what might be missed.

Thanks Mavman!

You guys are so helpful, thank you so much!!! :thumbs2:

11. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Paint quantity required for your car....
    Its a simple formula: The average sized car will require: 7 to 8 ounces of redeuced paint per panel, per coat for a plain old solid color like grabber blue. The formula changes according to level of coverage when you get into candies and pearls. The type of equipement you use will have an effect on this formula also but, as a general rule of thumb the first sentence will serve you well.

12. Dianne

Dianne Member

Vehicle:
    So I would need like 80 ounces or something like that with under the hood and all? So like a gallon and a half, or up to 2 gallons or something?

Thanks,

Dianne

13. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    That is fairly true to a point. Don't forget he is painting all panels inside and out. Door jambs etc. That will add to the amount needed.

14. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    A gallon should do. That gallon of PPG is a steal for that price! And reduced that will give you two gallons sprayable.

15. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Very true Glenn, and I should have stated: "7 to 8 ounces of Reduced paint" per panel... I allways consider jambs/inner doors/inside of deck lids etc as panels to be painted when figureing paint quantities
    Think I will edit the previous post to reflect this...:Handshake