HELP! How do I Remove the Ignition Switch?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by dtlcast, Feb 16, 2004.

1. dtlcast

dtlcast Member

Vehicle:
    Hello everyone,

I need to replace my key ignition switch that is installed onto the steering column. How do I remove this switch? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
  3. dtlcast

dtlcast Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks

THANKS A MILLION Corbin.

On another note, have you received my money order for the crossmember with bolts yet? If so, please let me know.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO, GREATLY.

4. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Your welcome. I am a little confused however, because you much be mistaking me for someone else as far as the crossmember goes - I don't have any for sale.... :confused: Double check, and get back to me...I hope no one is posing as me..... ??????? :(
    -Corbin

5. dtlcast

dtlcast Member

Vehicle:
    Different Key Cylinders from 71 & 75, appologies as well

Sorry Corbin, you are correct. My mistake. I did confuse your user name from another fellow mavster. THANKS again for the ignition key removal procedure. I actually tried it last night, around 10pm and it worked. I did discover; however, that the ignition cylinders from a 71 and 75 maverick are different. The 71 has a triangle shaped key while the other has a retangle shape key. I'll have to buy a new one. Thanks.

6. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Glad it worked out for you! I've been gone for a while, or I would have responded earlier....
    -Corbin

7. abesshop09

abesshop09 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1998 Explorer Sport
    Just brought my New Maverick home today, no keys at all with it need to know how to change the column ignition lock on a 1970 maverick..... read the above and went to link but can't sind anything on the subject, any help would be greatly appreciated...

8. baddad457

baddad457 Member

You can pull the tumblers using a paper clip inserted into the hole in the face and using a key to pull the tumbler. The old Motor Repair Manual had a section on how to do it. Might look in a Haynes Manual too.

9. abesshop09

abesshop09 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1998 Explorer Sport
    Didn't see a hole for this when I looked, will check again tomorrow when there is more light and when I get my Chilton's manual and my 1970 Maverick shop repair manual....
    thanks for the help

10. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Take a look here, it will be very similar to what you have.

11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I'm thinking you need a key to remove it that way. without one it's a little more involved.

12. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Without a key you'll have to drill the tumblers till it can be turned to on position, then press pin mentioned. Isn't removable unless ign is in the on position.

pin is in the opening just below the black wire with tinges of pink.

On '70 it may be possible to drill pin and slide lock out, BUT it's very easy to damage column. Later models have a "dog bone" on end of tumbler that only aligns with ign on.

cometsignalign.jpg

13. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I have heard of this trick but never tried it. Take aluminum tape and put it onto another ignition key so it makes the shape of a blank key. Then gently insert it into the lock and gently try and turn it a few times in the direction needed to release the pin lock. Idea is the metal tape is strong enough to hold up pins that should be held up but soft enough to get pushed down and allow pins that need to drop to do so. If you can get it to turn off lock - push the pin and pull it out. If it turns do not go back to the lock position or you might need to start over again.

I'm going to try this on a column I have in the shop today. Like I said, never did this one myself yet but heard it works on all the old Ford locks with the 2 sided key.

Update - just tried 3 different keys and it did not work. Might be an old wives tail.

Anyway - another thing is pull the whole column and take it to a locksmith. They often have 100's of keys to try (Ford only used so many patterns) and one might be close enough to get it to turn for removal. Or if the locksmith is good he can pick it.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Krazy Comet likes this.
  14. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Well that's newin' on me, may be possible. Success most likely depends on key cut.

I'd bet locks with sudden swings in pin length give the least chance of picking. There are five pins and five possible lengths, each varying maybe 1/64". In other words, short pins that have least amount cut from key will be easiest to duplicate. A cut with large swings in depth, the least likely.

BTW The door lock(s) should have the key code stamped into one(my experience usually passenger side). A locksmith can cut a key from this.

15. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Ok, I was thinkin the 70 had the old style ignition switch in the dash. Those had the hole in the face to use the paper clip to remove it.