Help painting the interior

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by phil1185, Jan 22, 2011.

1. phil1185

phil1185 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 comet
    If anybody has done it i was wondering what the best way to go about painting my interior (dash, door panel) any tips on how to do it or what kind of paint to get for everything?

2. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    I used SEM vinyl paint from VinylPro. If you have any questions, their rep, Thad, is very helpful.

3. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    You can use regular paint on all the metal pieces, just prep and paint them like the rest of the car.

Point of advice though, get some flattening agent mixed into the paint for the interior to make it a semi gloss if you are planning to drive the car regularly.

Some companies have paint already dedicated for interior use with the flattening agent in it already. You might have to ask about it where you're getting your paint from though.

When I was first starting out building cars, I color matched everything on one of them using the same paint both inside and out. The sun relecting off the high gloss paint blinded me on more than one occasion!

The car was totalled by the new owner's son not too long after I sold it to them because of being sun blinded actually. I got lucky and avoided a major lawsuit because I not only told the buyer about it, but I also put it in writing with both of us signing the paper.

Hope this helps,
    -Scott H.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. mrskydog

mrskydog Ford Fan Living The Dream

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick V-8 / 2005 Mustang /2012 Festiva/ 1978 Pinto/1980 Rallye Pinto.... All Ford Family
    Yep I also have found that SEM Vinyl Pro works the Best...its a great choice.(y)

5. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    I couldn't find the right color from SEM for my interior and went to my Sherwin Williams auto store and they mixed up what I needed for the seat bolsters, vinyl door panels, dash pad and kick panels. They're able to do it with with just about any color chip you decide on. If you're able to find an off the shelf SEM color you like you'll save yourself some moolah.

[​IMG]