Help with rust removal

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Saul, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Saul

Saul Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a rebuilt 200 6. Currently restoring the body and interior.
    I have sanded and grinded away the major areas of rust on my passenger side rear quarter panel. I still have some dark areas of rust on an otherwise clean panel that no sandpaper will touch. I am wondering if there is something I can do about this besides grinding the area out.

Thanks,
    Saul

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    From my experiance when grinding will not remove the deeper rust, sandblasting will. If you can get your hands on a sandblaster that can do small smaller areas, that would be the way to go. An other plan of attack you could try might be to try some of the rust inhibitors on the market like POR 15. That stuff kills rust dead. Eastwood carries POR 15.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    If you use a sand blaster on sheet metal, be very carefull not to hold it in one spot. The heat will warp your panel very quickly. Always keep the nozzel moving at a good pace and give the metal time to cool between passes.

4. Saul

Saul Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a rebuilt 200 6. Currently restoring the body and interior.
    I've been hearing a lot about this POR 15. Anybody have experience using it?

5. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    Autozone carries rust fix in a can. supposed to be a primer that turns it back into a metal

6. Saul

Saul Member

Vehicle:
    I've been using a spray on rust converter. It seems to be working really well. However, I have gone through a lot of it. I figure that it's better to go through a few cans of rust converter now, than to have the rust reappear.

7. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    POR-15 is an excellent product!!!! I have used it several times and the stuff is great!! Just remember, nothing stops rust permenantly except for replacing it with new metal......but, POR-15 will stop it and it will not come back for several lifetimes!!! In other words, when the rust comes back we'll all be dead and gone and so will our grandkids!!!!!:D A couple of pointers on using POR-15, you must follow the directions and don't get it on your skin!!!!!

8. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    CometGt1974 is correct about replacing the rusted metal as the only real means of getting rid of rust. The POR15 will stop the rust dead in it's tracks, but the damage the rust does has all ready been done. Once the metal is pitted, it's pitted for good. As long as the rust has not eatened through the metal, you can apply the rust converter and then apply a swipe of Evercoat or fiberglass over the pitted area to cover the pits and smooth it out. It really all depends on how far you want to take your project. The rust coverters like POR15 are excellent products,but I agree, don't get it on your skin. It's a real bit*h to get off.