Hood scoop in the Ford Family

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by indyman13, Apr 30, 2008.

1. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    Hood scoop in the Ford Family 1973 LDO with 200CI

Well, I'm about 95% there on my project. I'm pretty proud of the twin scoops I found that came from a mid 60's Fairlane. The Fairlane's had them mounted with the opening to the windshield however. The smaller photos in the strip underneath are what I started with when I had the car shipped from CA to Little Rock. I was pretty lucky cause she was in really good shape to start with.

Funny story----they unloaded 2 cars in Little Rock back in November 2007 when it was delivered, a $120K Mercedes and a $2800 Maverick. More people were coming over and looking at the MAV!

Some other background---

I'm the 3rd owner. It was won in a church raffle in 1973 and driven for 72K miles until it was bought by the 2nd owner in 2006 who put 11K miles on it bringing her up to 83K miles when I got it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Sport mirrors from a Torino found through the forum's classifieds-----you guys are great!

Interior of doors (metal part) was done with acrylic enamel (nutmeg) from Home Depot; vinyl part was done with SEM vinyl paint. The dark part of the seats and the dash pad were with some paint Sherwin Williams mixed up for me in a vinyl formulation

Can't really tell, but the shag carpet was in really good shape so I kept it!

The engine bay was detailed by removing as much stuff as practical and taking a lot of time masking stuff off. I used a Kilz product that would spray upside down so it made it possible to reach some tough spots.

I went through the 2bbl carburetor swap that's in the technical article section. Thanks to all you guys that guided me through some of the parts that more knowledgeable people probably already knew the answers to like vacuum hoses to get rid of and routing, etc. You might also notice the washer reservoir cover and fan shroud I fabricated myself. I do quite a bit of aluminum fabrication so if y'all like polished or swirled aluminum or aluminum diamond plate, give me a holler, I might be able to do something for you.

Still looking to put on a header and dual exhaust as soon as some financial breathing room makes it possible. (Buying gas and groceries at today's prices are top of the priority list right now.) While it's not a daily driver she gets driven pretty regularly and just doesn't sit in the garage under a tarp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. Matterick

Matterick Matt Somerville

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302, 1971 Maverick
    those scoops look right at home on that hood :thumbs2:

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    That is a sweet LDO!
    They are few and far between anymore.
    Especially a 2 door and in that shape.

Word of warning from a halo roof owner:
    Keep an eye on that vinyl top!
    Mine rotted the entire roof out.

4. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    Thanks for the compliments and for the tip on keeping a watch on the vinyl top. Any suggestions out there on what to keep on the lookout for so I don't have roof rot problems? There aren't any tears in it but I could imagine how moisture getting in there around the chrome strip could slowly eat away. Maybe a very small silicone bead around there?