hood scoop

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by johnson, Jul 3, 2006.

1. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    i've got an idea on my head and before i just do it i have a question about it. all auto hoods a designed with a fold point in mind in case of a collision. what i'm wanting to do is to make a hood scoop that will raise up as your speed increases by the air flow alone allowing more air into the engine compartment. before i go cutting into my hood do you guys have any recomendations to look towards before install my scoop into my hood. i dont want to damage the integrity too badly

2. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    i guess with the looks and no answer its either i dont know what you are talking about or i need to just do it and see what happens

3. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Sounds like to me you know more about the 'crumple zone' than I do (at least). Besides, I wouldn't let the 'crumple zone' affect where I put the scoop (personally).

There are continuous debates about whether or not the scoop actually "captures" air (with the front of the car being an air-foil and not providing more air into the scoop).

How will your scoop be more functional with increased speed (ie., was will cause the scoop to capture more air)?

btw, where is the 'crumple zone' on a Maverick hood (pic below of just the stock reinforcement on my hood)

I wish I could be of help. :huh: Good luck.

[​IMG]

4. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    the red arrows are your crumple points. should you ever get into an accident that is where the manufacturer has designed the hood to fold. problem is that the scoop will interfere with one area because part of the hoods underlying skeleton if you will has to be cut to accept the scoop. the area in blue. by allowing the scoop to already be partially lifted the air flow across the top of the hood should have enough velocity to raise the remaining mass of the hood scoop up and out giving the air a more direct flow into the engine compartment. if the design is correct that is. all else fails i will hook up a toggle to raise and lower the scoop. perfer to have it run off air speed velocity instead. i may be able to draw up something in order for you guys to see a design plan as to how this will work. think like an airplane. they use the air speed to create the lift needed to raise the plane off the ground.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  5. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Look at some of the old Mopar scoops. I think maybe the 440 six pack had a door that popped up when you floored it, may have been vacum operated.....

6. DannyB

DannyB Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, 75 Comet, 77 Comet 4 door, 73 Comet parts car
  7. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I am late to the party, but I was going to point you to Mopar as well.
    They had a few models that raised a scoop from the flat hood as the RPM changed.

Chevy's stock cowl hoods did the same thing... a rear facing flap raised up with vacuum changes.

Both styles used a choke cable like override incase of rain, the driver could close the flaps off and keep things dry.

Dave

8. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    two things. good point ratio i thank you. and daggum did you see the price on that solonoid. might wait a few months while tryin to perfect my design

9. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    i feel like im cheating on this site but hunting for a mopar site

10. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    I think if I hit something head-on with my Maverick the hood crumple zone would be the last of my worries. I think the hood only dissipates minimal impact force to begin with. Its not really a structural part of the car. So put it wherever lol.

If you cant find the Mopar solenoid look for one from a 68-69 GTO that was used for the hidden headlights, its vaccum operated and its probably alot cheaper, it may work. I've used some from vaccum secondary carbs before for small hidden doors for like CD face plates. works pretty good.

11. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    where did you go to get those?

12. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    Check Year One or the Paddock for the GTO ones. The carb ones I just pulled off some old carbs lying around, I dont know where you can get them?

13. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    danke

14. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    just thought you guys might get a kick out of this. i have a couple scientist friends helping me out with this hood thing.:rofl2:

15. DonO

DonO Member

Vehicle:
    1972 with mild 302
    the late 79-81 Camaro Z-28's used an Air Induction hood that had
    a vacuum air door...might look into that also.