Hoods

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by awannabegrabber, May 20, 2006.

1. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    I have been making a list for my maverick of Things i need at the top and less priority at the bottom, but i have come across somthing that i need. a mildly agressive hood. I have beed thinking about a shaker, a cowl or the everpopular and hard to find Grabber. and what i mean by hard to find is, i dont want a fiberglass grabber hood, unless i get persuaded by sombody who has one. Does anybody have suggestions on brands, or do you have hoods that you would be willing to part with.

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    A member here, Maverick Man, makes carbon fiber cowl scoop hoods.
    It is a perfect marriage of 'strong like steel' and 'light like fiber'.
    The good part is that there is not all the body work and fitting like fiber. Then no bonding on a scoop that will eventually crack on a heavy steel hood.

The CF hood is a little pricey up front, but you will save in the long run over all the time and money spent to get a steel or fiber hood the way you want it.
    The only part that costs the same no matter what, is the paint. But CF is trendy and you could leave it unpainted for a while and still look good. Can't say that for steel or fiber.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck
    Dave

3. rebel3

rebel3 New Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    grabber hood

hi,

i'm new on this`website but i do know you can get a fiberglass grabber hood from a place called auto krafters in virginia. theyhave a lot of hard to find parts`for mavericks.

4. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    AK doesn't make it's parts, they are made by other companies and AK puts their part number on them.
    The hood is probably made by either Crites or UP.
    If it is UP, you don't want it.
    Crites stuff gets good comments from others on the board.
    Dave

Btw: Welcome to the board! :wave:

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I've seen the AK fiberglass hood in person. I thought it looked pretty good. Nick thought it sucked but what does he know. He's anal and drives a mustard yellow car. :D :biglaugh:

6. grbmaverickmo

grbmaverickmo That Maverick Guy

Vehicle:
    70 grabber.71 4dr v-8 stick.72 Sprint
    The AK hood is a crites there OK lookin, not mint but OK. I didn`t like theres no place to mount the hood lip moulding. As for scoops a repop boss 9 scoop looks good.Thats whats on my driver theres a pic of it on THAT OTHER SITE if you want to see what it looks like its under one of my posts....... (and who would have a mustard yellow car):p

7. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    Ok. I have seen the infamous Maverick Man Cowl Hood. Its awesome i would like one very much, but it is very pricy, There is also the VIS hood, they have basically the same hood in demention wise, but is still on the high end.

Question: Will carbon fiber warp, bend, and lose its shape? I know that the Airforce are using it alot on planes because it is a very stong and light material. But would weather in Kansas affect it with all the diverse weather like hot oneday and moisture the other.

8. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Yep, the weather will mess with it. One good Category 3 Tornado and that sucker will be history. :rofl2:

9. jayman

jayman Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick/72 Grabber
    After looking at this CF hood at Knott's Berry Farms show this spring, I just had to buy one. No, you will not have issues with the hood warping, bending, bowing or deforming because of the temperature changes in Kansas. Weather conditions do not change either fast enough or dramatically enough to affect the hood.

Except for the tornados, hail storms, etc. (Drat, you beat me to it)

With any of the Fiberglass hoods I have seen, by the time you have it fixed, straightened, mounted and ready for paint, you will have more money in it than if you bought the CF hood. And if you should want to paint the CF hood, just lightly scuff, prime and paint. It is already nice enough to simply bolt on and enjoy.

BTW, I grew up in Hoyt, KS about 15 miles North of Topeka. Sure do miss having seasons. Sure don't miss mosquitos, chiggers, biting flies, junebugs, gnatts, etc. :D

Welcome to the board.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  10. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    Yeah. I know what you are talking about. But hail will affect it you said. can CF be repaired.

11. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    and he is a steelers fan:huh: :evilsmile

12. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    I would think that it would take a hail stone the size of a basketball to damage CF.
    The stuff is strong as steel.
    Heck, they make driveshafts out of CF. (on my wish list!)

If you are just looking at getting a scoop, make sure you get one that will bolt on.
    The bond on stuff, for the most part, will crack and separate.
    I know there are a couple guys that have had a fiber scoop bonded on their steel hood for 35 and a half years without trouble... but they must just be lucky. I know a guy that builds 100k rods for a living, can do anything with glass, but will NOT bond it to metal. Says it just doesn't work out when the hood gets hot, the steel expands and cracks the glass.
    I have a Dodge Demon scoop on my 75. It looks awesome IMO and bolts right on. If you aren't out for perfect factory stuff, bolt on scoops from every car maker are out there if you look. Sure to find one you like.
    Dave

13. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    I would like to get a fully functional hood with out a bunch of Cuting and Modifying. An exception to that would be the grabber hood, i have herd of a couple of people who have done it but they didnt say if it was any good

14. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    Bolt on scoops are easy to make functional.
    My air filter is half in and half out of the Mopar scoop and the part that is in the scoop catches air like crazy. The top half of the filter gets dirty long before the bottom. :)
    It is possible to catch rain too with an open scoop, but it never caused me any trouble with the scoop on top of the hood.
    My Camaro drew ram air from under the bumper, and that thing was like a wet-vac when it rained!
    Dave

15. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    I was looking at the Shakers from FordRamair.com. and i talked to the guy who sells them and he said that the 350 Torino shaker would be great for my car, and he said that if the rain makes it in passed the flap, it will drain onto the filter cover and run off onto the block.