Horror stories or encouragement wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by lilredneck, Jul 14, 2002.

1. lilredneck

lilredneck Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    ok...ok....I am looking for the horror stories with replacing the headliner myself!! I am pretty good with powertools...pretty crafty on the sewing machine/designing things...just not sure if this is something I want to undertake!!!

Horror stories or encouragement wanted on headliner replacement!!!

thank you
    me
    :p

2. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    having fun yet???

Just take it slow and don't force anything. As old as it is, don't be surprised if you don't have any good parts to work with. You might have to make everything from scratch. I did one replacement and the headbroad was the only part of the haedliner that was reuseable.

3. Stavro

Stavro Transplanted New Yorican

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER ZRX1200r
    one tip that i can give you is to mark every hole where every rod comes out. keep each one in order and you should be ok.

4. lilredneck

lilredneck Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    I guess i am sort of confused...I have not removed anything yet...but part of the headliner is coming apart...the seam is dry rotted...and there is no board...just foam and then the metal for the roof?!?!? is there supposed to be a board?! I have read about both and been told it is a horror fest to do the headliner!! I am pretty patient...the interior shop wants $250 to do it IF I buy the materials. I dont know if that is a bunch but he said he would fix it if I screw it up by trying, for the same $250!! LOL

me

:p

5. Stavro

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER ZRX1200r
    headliner

no there is no board for the mav. but there was fiberglass insulation from the factory(in my '72 anyway)i just got a headliner off of e-bay.($50) if you want to check it out go to ebay(obviously) do a "smart search" ,then search by item number. the number is 2116010955. the quality is good, but i haven't put it in yet. i'll keep you posted.

6. Stavro

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER ZRX1200r
    lilredneck.......

Have you installed your headliner yet? Mine was a bitch! Luckily I have a friend in the "business" and he came over and helped me out! He made it look so easy too.

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The only horror I had was writting the check to the upholstry guy but I believe this was the less of 2 evils. I know the bows are all different so dont mix them up.

8. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Sometimes in life I have more time than money, seldom is it the other way around. So, I try and figure out things on my own. Like when I moved out here in the country. I had a big polebarn built, but then had no money left to finish it off and wire it. My carpentry skills are fair, but I had no clue to AC wiring. Well, down at the public library they have all these books. Lotsa a learnin can be done there if ya want. So I borrowed 3 books on how to wire your home. Read them cover to cover. Then one brave day I took the cover off my electric meter, and a few weeks later I had a shop that was wired with lotsa lights and outlets and big juice for compressors and welders and furnaces. Your public library has all kinds of books on many subjects like, upholstery for auto's and such. About 20 years ago I did the same thing, had a 64 Chrysler 300 conv, bad top, read how to do it, and shazam!! it worked. Was it easy? NO! did it work? yes! Also did my first headliner the same way, didnt turnout so well, but it was good enuff for the winter car I did it in. Now, I take headliners to the shop,, not enuff patience to do it anymore.
    Dan

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Powder Coating Nut

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick 2 door 302 V8
    About installing the headliner...

IT CAN BE DONE!

I am about to tear out my recently-installed headliner on my '76 Mav "Pegasus" so that I can powder-coat the body (400 degrees is not happy with a headliner!).

About 2 years ago I purchased the entire headliner from AutoKrafters (fantastic-looking!). The trick is to remove ALL of the glass from the car. This is so you can fold the edges of the headliner over the stamped edges of the openings. Buy some 3M "super-90" adhesive to hold the edges and you should be fine.

The rods in your headliner are color-coded to indicate where they should be. Be careful and write down where they came from. If not, let me know and I'll post the rod locations (I have the factory-service manuals).

It is not a fun job, but the end-result is very rewarding!

Pegasus

10. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Pegasus, I called you awhile back and talked to you about your operation, all good I might add. Anyways are you going to do the whole body? If so what color, I hope one of your candies? Please post pics as you go along. Thanks.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Powder Coating Nut

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick 2 door 302 V8
    Ward,

Yep. Going to do the entire body. I have located an outfit in Dallas that has an oven large enough to bring the entire car up to 400 degrees after I strip everything off. (I currentley don't have $25,000+ or the room to invest in an oven that large ;)

I could also do a "garage cure" with my infrared lamp but that would require doing sections of the car at a time and would take quite a while!

One of the things I have to be careful about is to make sure any and all rust (little) is patched using Brazing or welding. Not soldering or Bondo, simply because of the temps involved.

I've been leaning towards the Stallion style but have not finallized the color selections yet. I *would* go with all-white but 90% of the members here would kill me for powder-coating an entire Maverick in such a common color
    :)

I'll post some pics of the headliner de-installation and again of the re-installation when I get that far.

Wonder if Doug (DAB) has a good charge on his camera batteries?!

Tracy

12. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    You're not worried about panels warping?

13. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    Tracy: I'll pick up new batteries when the time comes. Just let me know, and I'll be there!

Incidentally, everyone: I visited Pegasus Powder Coating last weekend and will be posting pictures of his operations. He really is a perfectionist!