How does this paint scheme sound?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by luckyirishpride, Jun 30, 2006.

1. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    Hey guys,
    I am hoping to send my car off to paint next week, but first I thought I would tell you the ideas that I had running through my head.
    First off, I am going to paint it black... this is pretty much decided already.
    Next, I am thinking that it would be cool to paint the tail light panel red(using this to accent my black and red interior...See pictures on this thread http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=23119)
    So, what would your opinion on that be. And if I did paint it red, I was also thinking it would look nice to paint the tail light bezels black.

So, please give me your honest opinions.

O ya, another idea that went through my crazy head would be to powdercoat the bumpers. I originally was going to have them painted, but then I thought of powdercoating as a more durable, and longer lasting finish. I was either thinking powder them black, or powder coat them with a high gloss metalic silver!
    OPINIONS OPINIONS OPINIONS!

O and yes, this is for a 16 year old kid that doesn't really care what those around him think of his car(besides you guys, you are the sane ones driving mavericks, not hondas)
    Thanks!

2. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I wouldn't do the bumpers in silver. Black or chrome:Handshake

I like the idea of the Red Tail panel. I think some stripes or a comet gt hood scoop painted red would look sweet too!!!!

3. luckyirishpride

Vehicle:
    Yay, thanks for the opinion.
    Ya, wasnt sure about he bumpers in silver, but glad the black idea isn't out of the question. I figured the powdercoating will end up being cheaper, and it will be more resistant to corrosion.

I like your idea of other red on the car. A Comet GT hood scoop on a maverick hood... on a comet! Wow that would REALLY REALLY throw some people off. I was also thinking stripes would be nice, but i think that is further down the path... I barely have enough to pay for half the paint job, luckily my parents are paying for the other halF!

4. 69 ina 1/2

69 ina 1/2 Fox body nut!!!

Vehicle:
    691/2 maverick (sold to Mad Goon), 89 mustang coupe, 89 mustang GT, Gas-guzzlin' 05 Ford f150
    I think black bumbers would look great on your car, not sold on the red tail panel, I'm partial to black myself:cool: , but since your car is going to be black then you should try to break it up a little. Red ,imo, would probably be a better choice for the main color of the car with black accents, heres why....

Black is a nice but....
    gets damn hot in the summer, and you have vinyl seats and no ac as of yet. :yikes:

shows every little imperfection as far as body work is concerned

shows its dirtiness, always.

If I were you, I would paint the car red w/ black stripes and if you must paint the tail panel, paint it silver. I think that would look nice(y) just my $2.00

5. luckyirishpride

Vehicle:
    Thanks, but you opinion is only worth $0.02... hahaha J/K
    Yup, but everything is red where I live... but I guess that could work.

How about red body color, and a black bumper black grabber spoiler and endcaps(already have this stuff) and then a red tail light panel, with black tail light bezels...

6. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Red tail light panel with some red stripes would look good. Bumpers should be chrome in my opinion.

7. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    House of Kolors offers some new paint thats pretty close to chrome look. You can get it in darker shades with the chrome look as well. Might be an alternative to chrome or black. I haven't used that particular paint but everything else I use House of Kolors is awesome.

Coming from someone who used to own a black muscle car with no a/c I wouldnt really recommend it to anyone. If you do decide to go with black, tint the windows the darkest the law will allow, you will be suprized how much heat that cuts out when your car is parked.

I wouldnt paint the tail panel red either without any other red on the outside of the car. It would just stick out like a sore thumb. my 2 cents

8. Comet GT 73

Comet GT 73 Member

Vehicle:
    Comet GT
    Chrome bumper (y) with red hood, roof & trunk. The side painted Black and ended at the same shape of your side trim and tail black too :rolleyes:

9. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    red car with black accents, not that im partial

10. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I agree with someone at the top of the thread...I wanted to go black, but it has to be a PERFECTLY STRAIGHT car to go black (unless you do a flat black primer) since it shows EVERY little imperfection and flaw in the body. Plus, any dust or road grime makes the car look very dirty, so you are polishing quite often, then if you don't get all the polish off, you have white streaks.

Everyone I have known who has done black has regretted it later. If the car is not covered most of the time, the UVs will eat the black paint in 3-5 years and you will have flaky and dry rotted paint, as well (which is why I buy silver on all new cars living is south Texas, where it is VERY HOT 9 months of the year).

By the way, I will be in Seal Beach July 21 for a 4-day weekend. The only transportation I have is my grandmothers car, so I wouldn't want to drive too far. Would you like to meet in a central location, preferably near a beach so I can surf afterwards? I would love to see the car and meet you in person.

11. luckyirishpride

Vehicle:
    Santa Monica would be a pretty central location. I will be gone on the 21,22 (well actually the 16-22) so tell me which dates you will be in town!
    Thanks for all the comments!
    KEEP EM COMIN!

12. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Some thoughts from someone who has owned 3 black cars (93-98 Z28s :D )

First and foremost: They are NEVER CLEAN!
    I'd wash the car and not 5 minutes down the road it was filthy.
    It would last a whole day if I didn't drive it.
    They are hard to wash too. You have to be twice as detailed and wax buffing must be perfect or everything shows up like a sore thumb.

I love black with red secondary color. 2 of mine were like that.

If you paint a car black from scratch, the paint and body work MUST BE FLAWLESS!
    Black shows everything you never knew was there. A car with anything less than perfect body panels look horrible in black. The side of the car will look like a playground sliding board that has been riden hard for 3 decades.

HOT in summer.

Black is hardest color to reflect police radar and laser. Your car is fairly invisible unless you live in a state that requires a front license plate or you have a shiny bumper. Flat black will keep radar reflections down to feet instead of miles from the source.

Black is never clean... I know I said that, but it can't be said enough.

3 black cars have been enough for me, so this is my take.
    Good luck
    Dave

13. LOMBARDI

LOMBARDI To Live Is To Die

Vehicle:
    1978 Maverick Super Luxo - 2.3 OHC - Snowstorm White II
  14. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I think black with red tail panel, black tail lights, and red Grabber type stripes would be sweet. I like chrome bumpers though.

Luckyirishpride, I'll be at Fontana Aug. 3-5 for the PSCA. If you're around, come by and hang out again.

15. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    If you must paint the car black, I'd go with chrome bumpers & red tail light panel & red Comet GT hood stripe.