How should I dye bucket seats black

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by RudyD, Dec 22, 2002.

1. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    Hey all, I just got a free set of perfect bucket seats from a 95 Saturn, only thing is that I need to make them black, right now they are tan. How might I go about dyeing these seats black? Any brands that are recommended. Anything I should watch out for while I dye the seats? What should I do different on the vinal parts as opposed to the cloth parts? Thank you for all replies.

2. Warlock_Mav

Warlock_Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    It is my understanding that using dye to dye vinyl seats is a no-no. Unless of course you dont mind pulling the seats out every 2to3 months to respray them. The seats are by far get the most wear and tear from passenger's asses sliding across them... cause c'mon man you know that a mav has some serious roll issues LoL.
    I dyed my back seats black... and they turned blue after a while, so i got the interior out of a 74 Grabber that was black. I would recommend a) finding a set of black seats or b) having them recovered in black vinyl for maximum durability. But dying will get you by if absolutely necessary.

Ford Forever,
    Kyle Bissell

3. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    Crap, where your seats all vinal or was there cloth that lost the dye too? The part of these seats that you sit on is cloth and the back part of the seat (the part that faces the trunk) is vinal, I'll probobly end up using vinal paint on that now but I don't know what to do with the cloth. Thank you for the reply.

4. inline6

inline6 Member

your local autozone should carry a product made by duplicolor.it is a dye that takes care of vinyl and cloth.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have used the vinyl dye on vinyl seats and it held up very well. Lots of use and butt's sliding and it never wore off. Sold the car a year later..still lookin' good.

6. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    Ive never had any luck with the rattle can dye you get at the local parts store ... For non traffic areas like rear panels and head liners its very good but from my experience it doesnt hold up well on seats, arm rests kick panels and such ... I used a product called " Vinylkote" when i dyed the seats in my galaxie. I went from ford puke green to black ... 3 years and looks just as good as the day i put it on ...

http://www.parasolinc.com/Product_General/Display/Product_General.asp?Link=10