How to remove front fenders

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by klynam, Feb 1, 2012.

1. klynam

klynam Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    Without even removing my AC box, I can see rust up underneath the cowl panel - very frustrating as I hoped our 75 had the galvanized cowl that would not rust - but either it doesn't, or it rusted anyway, or I have bigger problems.

Now I'm not even going to bother going in from underneath, I'm just going to pull the fenders and cut into the ends of the cowl to do the repairs. (See my other posts for that discussion.)

So, to remove the fenders...

I found this by searching the forums: http://1bad6t.com/Maverick/repair/diagrams/untitled339.gif

• I think I see all the bolts - is that pretty much all there is to it?
    • What about the headlight assembly - is that part of the fender or do I have to remove it entirely?
    • Are there any hidden "gotchas"?
    Just so I have it in my head, and provided nothing tragic happens, about how long should it take purely to (a) remove and (b) reinstall the fender?

Mucho gracias...

2. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Yup, just a bunch of bolts. Don't lose em while they are off.

There is a plastic piece underneath by the tires, but if I remember correctly, they come off with the fender.

3. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Besides the obvious fender bolts in the engine compartment you have one behind headlight bezel, one above door hinges and two under the car, headlights you will be able to unplug once you pull the fender forward, marker lights you can remove the bulb from the housing and unclip wire. Slide forward and out and it will come off. You sorta have to work it around the fender splash shields. For the passengerside you will have to remove radio antenna.

I can take one off in about 15 minutes or less, watch when you take it off as there may be some shims under it that you will want to put back in same place.

You do it once and you are a pro at it

4. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Pay attention to the spacers on some of the bolts that align the fenders with the other panels. If you put the spacers back in the same numbers as you took off, the panel alignments should be close. You can add or subtract spacers if you need to to get the final positions.

I think I copied this from somewhere on here but can't find it now. If someone finds the original post I'll replace the copy with a link to the thread.

5. klynam

klynam Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    You are all gentlemen and scholars - fenders are coming off tonight (probably...lol)

6. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Are there any hidden "gotchas"?
    Made me laugh :burnout:

7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I think you will still need to remove the heater box in order to make the repair. It will be in the way otherwise.

8. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    I just did both of my fenders today, I had 13 bolts to remove for the fenders, there are 2 under the headlight behind the bumper that go through the gravel shield, one was actually holding a bumper brace (at least on mine there were 2) up into the bottom of the fender, one of these is a major PITA so i took off the front valence to access it easier, of course there are 3 holding the front valence to the fender, one kinda in the corner but not too hard to get to, 2 under the car behind the tire, 1 that you need to open the door to get to and of course the 5 under the hood, I also took out my headlights to unplug them so it was a little more work and don't forget the side marker, I had them changed out in about three hours and that included notching them and side marker light changes, now if you remove the front valence there are only 4 more to take out to do that after you remove all the bolts holding the fender.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. klynam

klynam Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    You know it Blu ... there's always som'thn in there!!:rofl2:

10. ptpdub

ptpdub Member

Vehicle:
    thanks for answering a question before I even asked!:whew: