How to Strip?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by maverick75, Aug 31, 2006.

1. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    As of right now i have sanded down half the mav using a mouse sander and 40/60 grit.On the hood i used paint stripper that i bought from NAPA for $6 it only had enough to do half of the hood..so it was too expensive, so i had planned to sand the entire car down.Well yesterday i went to Home Depot and i found out that they sold a qt of stripper and a sprayer for $8 so i bought it since it was cheaper than buying more sandpaper.As for my questions:

1.Will laying down plastic film on top of the metal(after sprayed w/stripper) help the paint strip better?

2.And since i sanded down half the car alredy would i have to do something else to clean it before primer?, besides using and air compressor and laquer to clean it.

3.last question is the original paint oil or latex based, if not what is it?

Thanks:tiphat:...this is my first time doing this.:bouncy:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The one bad thing about chemical strippers is that you have to neutralize or remove ALL of the material, in every little nook and cranny. Failure to do so and your new paint will be bubbling up in no time.

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Ford paint was Enamel.

4. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    To neutralize the stripper all I ever do is good old soap and water. Sometimes twice.

works for me Good luck

5. maverick75

Vehicle:

6. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    The thread title GOT ME! LOL

Yea those chemicles arn't verry friendly. Think i'll stick to sanding myself. Let us know how the Home Depot stuff works and if it cleans up with soap and water as mentioned. Good luck...:drink:

7. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    :yikes: I was thinking the same thing Gene...about the title.:evilsmile :biglaugh: :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Since it was started by a guy, I knew what it was. You guys aint funny, are you? :D

9. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    :lolup: HELL NO!

10. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have chemically stripped many cars. It is usually just a forced decision,, mostly by deciding that there is just too many layers of paint on the car.
    1. I have never layed plastic on a car with stripper on it. I think it needs some air to be able to actually work, but am not certain.
    2. When the car is completely clean, and when you are ready to prime, make sure you use a self etching primer.
    Other than that, it is just a messy job, but when done you know exactly what you are dealing with as far as the body on the car. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and no chance for any sparks or anything while doing it. Wear gloves and eye protection.

11. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I doubt the stripper for Home Depot is for automotive paint.

12. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Yeah,, good point Dave,, I noticed that too. I have always used the jet aircraft stuff, in the blue can.
    Dan

13. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    Not That Kind Of Funny! Momma told me not to play on that side of the fence.....LOL

14. maverick75

Vehicle:
    Update:

Got round to using the stuff today, it says it can be used on metal thats why i bought it.

:slap::slap::slap:
    So all the thing i wasnt supposed to do i did:
    i wore shorts instead of pants
    i didnt use the right spray bottle
    i dint use gloves

I was looking for the spray bottle it came with,but i couldnt find it.So i decided to use a detergent spray bottle...i knew it was going to mess up but i still did it.Then i knew i was suppose to wear gloves(and i had a new pair) but i didnt use them.So your probbaly guessing what happened...i spilled some chemical on my arm...and it stung but it was a cool sensation so i kept on using the stuff...it actually worked pretty good.But then the bottle crapped out on me.So i have to go buy a bottle specific for it...i'll post pics of the work on the Valence tomorrow.

15. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Good thick rubber gloves are what I use when using chemical stripper. The stripper can still manage to find it's way onto exposed skin. In the event you get it on your skin again, wash it off with plain water or water mixed with soap as quick as you can to avoid getting a chemical burn. Once water comes in contact with the stripper, it neutralizes it. I never used a spray bottle with stripper. I have always used a paint brush and brushed the stripper on thick and always in the same direction. To remove the stripper from the body panel, I scrape off the dead paint with a razor blade scrapper, then use a scuff pad soaked in a bucket of soapy water and scrub the entire panel down twice. Once I have dried the panel off, I go over the panel again with another scuff pad soaked in lacquer thinner. If the panel is off the car, I wash it down with a garden hose instead, and then with the lacquer thinner. One other thing. Don't use stripper in direct sunlight. The heat of the sun dries the stripper before it can effectively do it's job. Here's another hint. If you use a paint brush with the stripper, throughly wash the brush in undiluted engine degeaser and rinse it in soapy water and again in plain water and let it dry. Once dry, it's ready to use again for applying stripper.