I hope this is the right spot for this but...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Halebopp, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    I'm taking my Comet to a local Body shop for 3 things

1. I have sepage in the roof under the vinyl top, want to get an estimate to
    fix all rust in the roof.

2. Inspect basic structure to make sure it is a solid foundation to work off of

3. Get an estimate in " Phases" for an ultimate goal to have all rust removed,
    and to have it repainted. Example
    Roof repair,

Structure (Torque Boxes engine bay, Floors etc. Then repair quarters, and repair or replace fenders

Repaint

My question, can you guys tell me web addresses, and / or phone numbers of places to buy replacement body parts, specifically Fenders, and Quarters. Floors and or patch panels for the same.

I already have CrossCanadaparts.com for rockers and outer quaterskins, they call them ( rust repair quality only)?? I have emailed them for more info. Anyone used these guys before?

Also I have a fiberglass companie's website Unlimited Products up22.com, they have fiberglass fenders and hoods for Mav's. Any word on their quality.

Are there any Brazilian parts connections that you guys know about?

Any other info would be great. The body shop is asking for info to bring with me so they can write estimates.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    If you car has that much rust in all those area's....you're in for a shocker.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Other than quarter skins, I have not seen any reproduction metal for these cars. They will have to fabricated or adapt to make the repairs.
    I have never heard anything good about Unlimited Products. Do a search on fiberglass before you buy anything from them.

4. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Well Just the lower corners of the fenders are rusted, and the quarters are rusted up about 3 inches in the corners by the wheel wells the rust is not clear up the inside of quarters but the area where it meets the floor of the trunk down by the corner is rusted through. The floors are solid, but there is a about a 1/2 inch hole on the drivers side, and as I said the lower corners of the trunk, I justt wanted to get as much info together for worst case scenario, I am not a body man so I don't really know what to look for as far as torque boxes etc, the car was parked in a garage from '87 to '97 and hasn't been driven in the winter since '87. I have put about 100 miles on it in the last 2 weeks but before that less than 100 since I bought it in 97. The shock towers are virtually rust free, and cowl vents seem to be ok too. no leakage into the passenger compartment. I know I made a long list but, I just wanted to know what all is out there for my car, and what would have to be repaired

5. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Can you post some pictures of the rust. Many experts on here could help point you in the right direction.

6. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Mavaholic, Just to let you know (though you may know already) got a reply email from Crosscanadaparts.com

they have left and right rockers, and L and R Quarter skins.
    (Do you know of other quarter panel sources other than them?

Rockers are $48.21 each, quarter skins are $294.64

Part numbers are: Rockers 450-02 (L) or 450-02 (R)

Quarter skins are 450-50 (L) or 450-50 (R)

these are for 2 doors but it says the qaurters can be cut down for 4 door models?

7. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    I will certainly try to get those on here, I work 2 jobs, and have little Daylight time, I will try to get picts, and see what you guys think, what size do they need to be to attach?

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    As far as I've been able to find, there is only 1 manufacture of the quarter skins. Everybody including AutoKrafters buys them and sticks their name on them. So I would say They are good enough.

9. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Is this Canadian company the producer or just another middleman, if autocrafters have the same parts available I'll check their price with delivery I don't know yet how much Cross Canada charges for Delivery

10. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Are you fixing a 4-door or a two door?

11. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber

That's pretty high for quarter skins. They are less than 200 from autokrappers. I got mine here in kc from a place called kc auto panel for about 170 each if I remember right. Don't know if they ship or not.. considering the price of truck freight, might be cheaper to drive here & pick them up. :D

12. DannyB

DannyB Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, 75 Comet, 77 Comet 4 door, 73 Comet parts car
    Remember that the parts listed on CrossCanada are in Canadian dollars so would be about 15 % less in US dollars. But there would also probably brokerage fees etc involved to get into the US.

13. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I would think those prices are in Canadian, I called them 2 weeks ago and that was the price they gave me (and I'm in Canada) As far as I know Cross Canada is the same as Sherman Assoc., and they have been the only ones with quarter panels for years.

14. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Craig I am doing a 2 door Comet. Matt, do you have a number for Kc auto panels?
    Definately would drive to pick up, I'm 30 miles south of Des Moines.

I did get a load of relief this morning, With a cup of coffee in hand I literally ripped the old top off the car in less than 2 mintuies!! And the roof is Very Solid, appears I have cought it before it got too bad, People talk about surface rust and it ends up being big holes, but in this case it does appear to be just Surface Rust!! This really made my day, first it wasn't a big hassle taking the material off, second, I'm no body man but even I can tell that I don't need to have any grafting done to the Roof but as I mentioned I am taking it to a body shop Tues to have it looked at.
    Thanks for the info everyone!

15. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    The phone# for KC Auto Panel is (816) 356-7227.

Dave, where did you find that info? My panels have stickers on the inside that say Sherman, and when I tried to search for info I turned up nothing? I know it's been said for a long time that there's only one place stamping out quarters for Mavs and I believe that. Just could not find anything when I searched for it.