Inner Door panels... where?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MyCarEatsRicers, Nov 28, 2006.

1. MyCarEatsRicers

MyCarEatsRicers I ...had... a Comet...

Vehicle:
    Saving up money for a Comet. Again.
    I've been digging online & I have no idea where to get the original inner doorpanels for the interior for my 73' Comet. The dude I got my car from has these really weird things stuck on there that look horrible, & while it's waiting for it's rebuild in January I figured I could work on the interior a bit to give me something to do.

The seats are decent (if you know where I could get some nice ones I'd love to know) but they're not an eyesore to warranting replacement like the panels are.

That, and, I have no idea what it's called, but the interior bit that is down by your feet that holds all the wires back... yeah that's completely non existant and if I could find one that'd be amazing.

Thanks for your input guys. Maybe one day I'll know enough to be one of the people who answers questions instead of asking them all the time :p

2. MyCarEatsRicers

MyCarEatsRicers I ...had... a Comet...

Vehicle:
    Saving up money for a Comet. Again.
    OK, found the seat things.

Door panels still a mystery!

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Door panels are not reproduced for these cars. Heck, almost nothing is reproduced for them. You will have to make your own, which is not real hard to do, or find a used set.

4. 72grabberblue

72grabberblue New Member

Vehicle:
    72 comet 302
    You might have to bite your lip and go into a craft store, find the material and backing board you like and then break out your grannys sewing machine and with a little luck you will have some decent door panels. Search door panels on this site and you will find more than you need to know.

5. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    I guess it all depends on the look you want, but the "hot-rod" custom look is probably the easiest to do. All you need is some fabric, foam, and lots of spray on glue. This way you don't have to do any sewing. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool and makes the car unique.

You can also do the same thing with the headliner, but it invloves making a headliner board to replace the bows. Hopefully I can accomplish this with an 1/8" piece of luan, lots of water, and a heat gun. Anyway, that's just me getting a little off topic. Cars are a lot more fun than work.

Good Luck!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  6. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    i'm working on the same thing:bouncy:

7. 72grabberblue

72grabberblue New Member

Vehicle:
    72 comet 302
    Let us know how the hedliner works out. I would rather paint the headliner on and be done with it.

8. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    There was a really good book at Barnes and Noble that outlined how to make a headliner and other such things from scratch. I'll see if I can get the title and author this weekend.

There are websites that outline how to do this too, but they don't go into as much detail. There are also plenty of people who just glue the foam and backing to the roof and call it a day. It's just a pain to fix when the glue or the foam gives up the ghost.

9. fmc56

fmc56 Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick, 1932 Ford Victoria, 1965 Econoline pickup, 1963 Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon, 1963 Falcon Sprint, 1971 SC-360 Hornet, 1972 Gremlin X
    I've attached a photo of some Falcon panels I did a few years ago. They are made from 1/8" luan plywood. The design is made by gluing 1/8" closed cell foam to the plwood and cutting out the low points of the design, then sanding the edges of the foam to smooth them out a little. The last step is to glue the vinyl over the foam. The Maverick panels can be done the same way and in the original design.
    Fred
    Check my gallery photos of the black interior in my son's 69 1/2 Maverick. It has custom door panels with Nissan inside door handles and Geo armrests. It also has a flat headliner made from 1/8 luan and covered in the same material as the rest of the interior.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  10. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    dont use elmer's craft bond spray glue! I used this for a fabric project in another car, it held fine but when i left the car in a hot parking lot it all melted apart but stuck again when it cooled.

11. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

the 3M spray glue works great . at least all the interior stuff I've done, never had an issue with it.

12. maverick75

Vehicle:
    Can you do a step by step on how to do that headliner?

Please:D

13. fmc56

fmc56 Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick, 1932 Ford Victoria, 1965 Econoline pickup, 1963 Falcon Deluxe Club Wagon, 1963 Falcon Sprint, 1971 SC-360 Hornet, 1972 Gremlin X
    I will try to do a step by step. It will be long since the details are important. I will most likely post it on my website and just post the link here. I'll try to do it over the weekend.
    Fred

14. maverick75

Vehicle: