Installing MaverickMans carbon fiber spoiler...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by CornedBeef4.6L, Mar 12, 2006.

1. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    The Good

It looks freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bananaman

The Bad

If you are poor like me $290.00 bucks is tough to come by:p

The Ugly

Fit wasn't perfect. Then again niether was my original Ford Duck Tail spoiler. I got crafty and made it fit. The problem was a couple waves in the center piece and the end caps drew in a bit (I'm assuming) as they dried. I wasn't discouraged just yet....Read on...... So how did I get it to fit? I looked around as sometimes I do in my garage to get "inspired" and low and behold I found my saviour. I stuffed them full of sheet styrofoam. After that it looked as good as a factory fit which again wasn't perfect but isn't readily noticiable. Overall I rate the product a Solid B+

Synopsis
    I would recommend this product to somebody looking for that "look" and has some sense about modifing stuff to fit. I am currently working on a "How to" with pics and instructions. That I will post later this week.

This is my honest opinion and your's may differ.

Derek Thanks for making stuff like this possible.(y)

Now I just got to save up for that Hood............:yup:

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :ttiwwp:

is this a flex prob.?...frank...:bouncy:

3. CornedBeef4.6L

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    A picture

An almost fully installed Spoiler. I have to elongate a couple mounting holes to make it just right. I just don't have the stuff at home to do it. I will finish everything tomorrow.

Attached Files:

4. CornedBeef4.6L

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I will agree the spoiler doesn't match grabber blue very well. Darker colors such as the Azure blue I plan on painting mine should look killer. I think yellow would be a "warm" color that might look good as well.

5. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Lance looks great!

Are you concerned about moisture holding with the sheet styrofoam and squeaks if it moves around.

6. CornedBeef4.6L

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Well let me rephase that bit. It wasn't actual styrofoam sheets I ended up rusing a a soft foam substance. It won't sqeek. The moisture issue was indeed on my mind. I think I could get buy with coating all the foam with one of those non drying "thick" silocones. They are clear in color and good up to 400f. I am also thinking that after a bit o time and some heat up and cool down cycles I can eliminate the foam all together. One step at a time though;)

7. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Sounds like your on top of it(y)

8. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

More pics please! I like the CF look.....

9. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    looks pretty good. anything is not going to be perfect on all cars. even the same model. especially from ford. they changed from the factory day by day.:)

10. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    Lance, well gald it works.. i was just gonna keep the money and not send you anything :D

as far as fitment... yes even the factory ones didn't fit right it seems. when we were testing it on hotrodbobs we put it on and we were like "uh oh, it's off." then Bob said well let put the stock one back on (cuz we didn't really take note of how the stock one fit) and he said. well sure enought the stock one was off too.. :huh: also remember 69-72 will have differant lower end caps then 73s so i had to make them universal thus having to do minor "cuts" to make them fit.

but i guess like Craig Selvey and Don Graham has said even the stock ones didn't fit and quality wasn't really job one :p

but Lance i'm gald it worked out... again you only the second car that has did this fit. So its good to know about fitment on differant cars and know what to expect. i would like to see what you did for fitment so i can make sure other know as well and what to expect. i love to see what you did with the syrofoam and what not.

as i said b4 i wanted to at least offer something better then what was out there. which really wasn't that hard cuz i have seen the other stuff and it was crap! making someone perfect is not going to happen i'm sure we all know that.... but getting a B+ from you (Lance MAVOWAR) will also let other know what to expect... i would have been happy with a C-.. haa haa haa just kiddin! but with that said, at least people here (on the fourms board), they will know that it was something made form someone who knows Mavericks and at least can give some advise to what will make it work. rather then just buying something and going well... "too bad... sorry the part sucks but you already paid for it." i won't meantion any names of companies.

lance i actually i like the way it looks on your car from that photo regardless of the color... it reminds me of how the dodges have the black stripe on the rear of some of the daytonas and what not.

also i do have the fiberglass one fixed as well. i know some of you have left me a deposit and have not heard back from you... so let me know when and where you want me to ship this stuff. first come first serve.

i await the photos! :D btw you have your trading rating ;) now wheres mine :D

11. CornedBeef4.6L

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Derek the reason I wanted this spoiler was because I was planning on painting only the spoiler black on my car this time. Then again CF is badass looking. So I got both now. Sticking with CF theme my seats will be done in CF blue and black as well. I will post the "How to" later this week.

12. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Looks sweet.....(y)
    Now do as Sefan says and POST MORE PICTURES!!!!!! :yup:
    But :evilsmile get the video done first :D

13. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    hey man wheres the photos... i gotta see them b4 i die here!

14. CornedBeef4.6L

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Sorry got tied up with the video.......soon :)

15. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    When we tried these spoilers on my car we found that they fit exactly like the originals did. Yep, they were a little off. But heck, in 35 years of driving I bet the body has changed shape a little.

Derrick and I also talked about painting the CF on the outer edges and leave the part facing the rear all dark as the rear panel on the Grabber is.