Installing New Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mavericks, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Mavericks

Mavericks Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    We are finally at the step of putting the wiring harness back in the car. Our idea was to take a brand new wiring harness and splice it into the old connectors so they could plug into the instrument cluster, steering wheel and etc. So far when we try to see what wire does what, we can only get the gas gauge to work and none of the other indicator lights turn on. Tried this on two new instrument clusters that were redone. Also did thus this with two different wiring harnesses and still only the gas gauge would turn on. Not sure if our old harness is just bad or what is going on. We have been plugged into a battery, grounded it on the dash, slice a small piece of wire on the existing harness that is plugged into our dash cluster so we can label the wires for the new harness.

Was wondering if anyone else has spliced into the existing connectors as well and what you did to make it easier for an install. Or if anyone has a good working complete wiring harness for 1972 Maverick I would possibly be interested in that as well. Thank you.

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    What harness are you using? Ford did some funky stuff with their wiring that will not jive with the circuitry in aftermarket harnesses.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  3. Mavericks

Mavericks Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Right now we're just using the stock harness to see what the wires are actually going to so what so we can splice in the new harness. So we haven't even gotten to the new harness yet but it's from Southwest Performance.

4. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I recently installed an aftermarket cluster and gauges in my '70. I found that the published wiring diagrams found on line weren't accurate in places (wrong wire colors and connector pinouts). Ended up tracing the circuitry in the stock cluster and making my own wiring diagram. Spliced into the stock dash harness and left the original cluster connector intact even though it will probably never be used again.

mojo likes this.