Interior Question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by David74maverick, Aug 7, 2013.

1. David74maverick

David74maverick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 maverick, '87 Celica
    I'm thinking of taking out my carpet and have a few questions, is there a durability difference between cut pile or loop? and has anyone ever thought of using undercoating or truck bed liner instead of carpet? thanks

2. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    I would only use liner in a Jeep Wrangler or something like that. Carpet is probably less money too. I prefer loop myself. Easier to vacuum I think. Check ebay for carpet, someone had some listed pretty cheap.

3. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    The design of the floor pans would make for a pretty ugly interior if left uncovered by carpet. I have always coated the metal after repairing any rust issues. The last 10 years using Rust Bullet. Then I use a heat reflective underlayment and carpet over that.

Another issue is noise. Without a sound block from the carpet and underlayment I would think the noise would be unbearable to live with.

:burnout:

4. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    And the heat that the carpet blocks out, don't forget about that. That was the worst part for me. My 71 had the carpets torn out of the front and between the wind that blew in from all the missing gaskets in the firewall, the heat radiating from the floor, and all the road noise and squeaking... I don't actually miss driving that thing anymore.

5. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    both my car and my boys cars have the carpet out of them. theyre definitely not pretty to look at inside but then again I dont know any metal surface floor thats nice to look at. the heat is definitely a major factor without carpet and exhaust if your floors have any holes like my boys car. when we drive his car its hot as can be setting still but going down the road its not so bad. if you have any exhaust leaks or oil leaks all of that will be inside and make for a crappy ride.

the noise I cant say either way since Ive never had carpet in my car and I run open headers. I imagine it cuts down some if not most if the windows are up.