Interior vinyl and plastic dyes and paints

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ford84stepside, Dec 24, 2006.

1. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I know some of you have used various vinyl and plastic dyes and paints with varying degrees of success. What brands are best for soft vinyls, which are best for hard plastics, where did you purchase them and what kind of prices did you have to pay? Also, How was the color match with the original pieces and how was the selection of available colors? How did they work for changing from one color to another? Just wanting to compile a list of what works and what doesn't and where to find them. I have some interior pieces that have faded and want to restore back to the original tan color.

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I use SEM dyes for vinyl and plastic parts with very good results. As the name suggest, they are not paints, but actual dyes made just for vinyl and plastic. You can get them in either a spray can, or they can be mixed to match your interior, in which case you would need a compressor and spray gun to apply the dye. You would also need to purchase a spray can of SEM Plastic and Vinyl Prep to clean and prepare the surfaces before dying them. I got our SEM dye and prep at our local Car Quest store, but you should be able to get them at any automotive store that mixes paint. The best thing to do would be to bring in a small part that is the color you want the dye to be, and they can match it up to thier list of dye color chips and find the closest match. As far as changing the colors of parts, I recently did that to a set of tan seats I that I had tucked away in our basement for years. The red seats in our new 77' Maverick were just plain shot. The tan seats were in excellent shape, but taking up a ton of room. Using the SEM prep and dye, I dyed the tan seats red. I had to have the dye mixed to match the red interior and I used 2 pints of it. The bill came to around $60.00 if I remember correctly. It was a whole lot cheaper than getting the original red seats re-upholstered and the end results were terrific. I have no idea how the dye will hold up to regular use, seeing how the car will probably not be on the road until springtime.:(

3. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Thanks Jean, that's the kind of info I was looking for. A previous owner has painted my doors and the rear plastic panels black,leaving the door panels themself tan, probably with spray paint. I may just leave them black. The biggest thing though is the steering collumn collar and the dash cover. The black dash cover goes good with the black doors and rear panels, so I'm thinking maybe black carpet would complete the two tone look. I was thinking about dyeing the seats and door panels and the steering collumn collar with a fresh coat of tan so they would all be the same shade. Anybody else used any other brands and how did they work out?

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I agree with Jean. I have pretty much switched entirely over to using only SEM products now. Easy to use and endless color selection, just like mixing auto paint. It is more of a professional use product, so it has all the good chemicals that regular consumer products don't have in them. Use a respirator, just like with auto paint.

I did in the past jump on the Krylon Fusion wagon for awhile. I still use Fusion on some hard plastics, but will never use it again on soft vinyl. It seems on soft vinyl it will sometimes dry perfectly and sometimes will remain tacky. And I mean staying tacky for a very long time. I have some armrests on my shelf that I sprayed 2 years ago and they are still sticky feeling. :slap: I also used Fusion on a snowmobile fiberglass hood with excellent - showroom results.

I have also ordered the liquid dyes offered by JC Whitney. The color selection is very limited to the basics (black, brown, red, tan, blue, ect). The dyes are very cheap in price and have excellent properties to them. They soak in and dye deep into the vinyl which is good when changing colors. I have used this liquid dye on tough use applications like boat seats and snowmobile seats with excellent results. If you remember that Granada Console restoration article I posted a couple years ago, that was dyed with the JC Whitney liquid. Excellent results and a great price.

Console thread:
    http://www.maverick.to/mmb/showthread.php?t=14007

:wave: