Koyo Bearing Opinions?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by silver70, Mar 22, 2012.

1. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    So, I called the supplier I was gonna use for the rebuild kit for my 8". They told me that they don't use Timken, but a brand called Koyo, from Japan. Told me it was a very good bearing and used in a lot of modern Fords.

This positive review was supported by our fleet mechanic at my work. He specializes in Fords and has been a mechanic for around 40 years. He also said that it was a good bearing; not garbage by any stretch of the imagination. He told me it was something having to do with the type of furnaces they use... they are able to make the steel harder.

Thing is, I've never heard of this company. But I haven't heard of a lot of things.

What do you guys think? Anybody have expeience with Koyo?

2. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    A lot of the replacement bearings that we get across the parts counter are Koyo for the rear axles that we build. They are at least as good as timken. IMHO

3. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    in my experience koyo is not as good as timken. two weeks ago a job that got a koyo bearing put into it because we couldnt get a timken in time, came back because the koyo failed.
    a rep from timken came to my shop and i asked about the difference and he said the hardening process that timken uses is far superior to koyo.
    ford put a koyo bearing in there 8.8s only in the inner pinion bearing position. it is the biggest bearing in the diff and i suspect ford saved allot of money on using a cheaper bearing.
    its not worth using anything but timken bearings if you want the best possible life out of your differential.

4. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Hmmm... split down the middle so far. I'll give this post through the weekend. Hopefully some tie-breakers will emerge.

Thanks for the feedback, though, guys. Either of you sell an install kit for the 8" under $90? Larger diff bearings for an Auburn posi.

5. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    no we dont sell them for anything close to that.

6. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    If you ask opinions about a rear diff bearing then I would take the advice from the guy that builds them for a living and his business is based on it.

7. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    Id rather have a usa built bearing then a "offshore" jmho

8. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    When I got my front drag brakes from Aerospace Components, they had Koyo inner and outer bearings for the spindle...................I replaced them with "Made In The USA" bearings. Just like I wouldn't touch the S.C.A.T, Eagle, or C.A.T. cranks and rods that come from China............IMHO

9. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    There's a huge difference between stuff made in China and stuff made in Japan.

But in this case Bryant would know best (y)

10. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    The information I gave is based on our usage since the mid 90's in the 8.8, 9.75 10.25, 10.50 and Dana 70, 80, 90 axles and having very few warranty issues with them. I would also put in a USA made bearing as a preference and only stated that he probably would not have any issues if set up properly. I don't dispute anyone's experience especially Bryant's or their opinions. The last Koyo bearings I installed were made here in the USA (according to what was stamped on the race) by the way, not China and I do this for a living as well. Good luck with your install.:Handshake

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  11. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Just so everyone "Really Understands", made in the USA can be stamped on anything as long as the item contains 35% value added here in the good ole USA. Like the cranks and H beam rods sold by S.C.A.T, Eagle, and others...............they are cast and ruff machined in China and finished here in the USA...............just because something is stamped made in the USA doesn't mean it was "Made" here.
    I have been to China and have seen a handful of factories producing these parts............and there were many, many more doing the same thing.

12. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:

You are absolutely correct! who really knows where anything comes from anymore. Unless you follow the thing down the line, you don't.

And, if you think Timken bearings are all made in the USA, check this out:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...61_1_timken-india-outsourcing-india-and-plans

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  13. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Wow. Didn't know Timken outsourced. Disappointing. Also, not taking sides by any means, but the Japanese have an extensive history with superb steel production. Their ancient Samurai swords were said to be made with the finest quality of steel known to the world at the time, surpassing European forgings in carbon content and edge retention.

I'm very conservative and believe that "MADE IN USA" should mean just that. But, with the way things are nowadays, quality (despite manufacturer) is what'll get my attention.

I was leaning towards Timken, solely for the reason of USA production, but, having seen that article, I'm not so sure.

14. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    Ha! Just found this on Koyo's home page:

[​IMG]
    Koyo Bearings USA LLC Formed Following JTEKT Acquistion of Timken Division
    JTEKT Corporation has created a new business unit, Koyo Bearings USA LLC, following the acquistion of the Timken Company's Needle Roller Bearings business. The acquisition combines the strength, heritage and intellectual capital of Koyo® and Torrington® Needle Roller Bearings to create one of the world's largest needle roller bearing manufacturers.
    Koyo Bearings will manufacture needle roller bearings under the Koyo
    Torrington Needle Roller Bearings brand, which features an extensive
    range of radial and thrust needle roller bearings, as well as bearing
    assemblies and loose needles for automotive and industrial
    applications.

15. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    from what i can tell is that the timken brand is the highest end bearing line and the koyo lower cost option.