learn to weld?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by bandit85, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bandit85

bandit85 New Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2dr
    I just bought my first maverick. I love these cars, but the nicest one around that I could afford had rusted rear frame rails. The trunk is rusted through right above where the frame is rusted. It doesn't look very safe. Right where the leaf spring bolts to the frame is rusted bad. Well my question is how much will this cost to fix? I also want to learn how to repair things like this myself someday. I have friends that weld for a living, how hard would this be to fix? Thanks.

2. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    lots of good pics.

Take as many good close up detailed pics as you can.
    There are some real professionals on this board that should be able to advise you on this.
    Good luck.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Its really hard to put a price on something like this. As always, the more you can do yourself, the cheaper it will be. If you have good friends in the trade, use them. Beer is cheap, just go easy till the work is done. One of you biggest obsticles will be findind replacement panels. You will have to find another car to cut them out of or fabricate your own. Good luck and keep us updated.

4. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    If you have friends that are professional welders - you have half of the battle over. Get them to watch over your shoulder while you weld and listen to what they have to say. The old saying holds true here - Give a man a fish and he eats for a day - teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

In my opinion, floor pans are good places to learn to weld. As long as the weld has good penetration and is sound - who cares what it really looks like. Practice with it - if you screw up a floorpan - grind it off and start over - you lost some time but hopefully you learned what you did wrong. There are plenty of people here on this board to help you fighur out how to tear apart and put together a Maverick.

Cleaver

5. bandit85

bandit85 New Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2dr
    thanks for the input guys. I think I will try to get one of my patient buddies who can easily be bribed with malted hops to give me help. It seems to me that people are really helpful on this forum, and I have really learned a lot. Most forums I have visited seem like just a place to talk trash. Thanks again and if I can get my hands on a digital camera I will try to put up some pictures.

6. Camtemple

Camtemple Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Well im not sure exactly where your from but i know theres a maverick forsale here in Chilliwack, british columbia for about 800canadian

7. squeal1

squeal1 Out To Have Fun

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Semi Mod, 75 Project
    Something that I did when I was learning to weld, still not that great but anyways :D If you have any machine shops or metal type places that will have scraps layin around you might see if they will give you some that you can take home and practice away. Just a thought.