License Plate Restoration ...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Sep 12, 2005.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Worked on my Tag tonight ...

71 and up Georgia Tags are tricky. It was the first year they started putting the County on the tag and also the first year they used reflective paint.

Unfortunately they had not perfected the process the reflective white paint quickly yellowed after time.

I have talked to several tag collectors in GA and they told me finding one still white even if never used is almost impossible. Making it even tougher is finding one in nice shape and also have the correct County ...

I found this one about a year ago on eBay ... Was in decent shape and looks like it was only used one year since it did not have a registration decal on it. The 71 stamped tags were used through 1975 by applying new registration decals in the corner.

I re-painted the blue lettering using a paint marker from the hobby shop and then clear coated it to seal it ... not perfect but a good 5 footer ... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Really nice Dan ! :clap:

Looks like it may have had the renewal stickers at one time. In the picture you can see the dirt line were it was.

Eric J

3. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Actually it isn't a dirt line ... the corner of the tag is raised where the decal goes ... that is the edge of the bevel ...

I went and installed it on the car (after applying my tie-down decal) and it looks pretty good ... I'll take some pictures during the day. I supposed I'll just leave it on and see what happens if I ever get pulled over ... :)

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I see, it's got like its own little platform for the sticker ..... cool! :bouncy:

5. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Well I got some additional info for the correct registration sticker from the local expert so I was able to design one ...

He also sent me some interesting info indicating that the tag I have would not have been on a Maverick ... Check out his email ... I told him I would like to attend his swap meet ...

Dan,
    I am having another license plate swap meet here in Avondale on Oct 22. Can send you further details if you might be interested in comming. You might find the tag with stickers you need. You have a Maverick? I think.
    If you get nick picky the correct letter sequence* would in 72 have been in the BAA-BZZ letter series. validated in 72 with a sticker with the letter "B" in the sticker serial number.
    The tag you have the GBZ series would have been issued to a car like a Torino,Chevelle or a GTO 3001lb-3500lb vechicle.
    Good luck, let me know if I can be of further help.

Here is the decal ...

[​IMG]

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Collecting License Plates is a huge hobby....as you have found out.

I bought these off of ebay. See how long it takes you to figure out waht they say. They are legitimate New York State Plates.....actually used on a vehicle.

Attached Files:

7. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Cool ... wonder why they had them done backwards? We only get 7 letters in GA ... Here are the tags I had on my 73 years ago when I lived in NY ...

[​IMG]

8. Tim Wilmoth

Tim Wilmoth Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet gt
    (y) They look good Dan. Here in Virginia you can register your car as Vintage and use tags from the year of the car. I got lucky and found a unused set for $35 the day we picked it up at a flea market.Also you dont have to renew it. Its $10 permanent. No county stickers or inspection stickers. I love it.:bananaman

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  9. dmhines

Vehicle:
    I saw them at the round-up ... nice ...

Georgia is allowing antique tags to be used as well ... but only up until 1970. In 71 they went to the multi-year tags like the one above ...

10. Tim Wilmoth

Tim Wilmoth Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet gt
    I also have the Harley titled like that :bananaman

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  11. MavMike

MavMike Mile High Mav

Vehicle:
    2 '70 Mavs, 1 '71 Mav, 1 '74 Grabber
    Re: kcirevam

Dan, they're backwards so the person you're bearing down on can read them! :)

I have the Japanese plates that were on our family mav from 73 to 76...love to hear the cops call that one in: "This is Able 1-2 pursuing a gold maverick, license plate number 1-2-9-what appears to be the symbol for plutonium followed by a cat skeleton." :biglaugh:

FYI: http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/hp.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  12. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    I thought that I had a pic of it, can't find it. My buddy with the '65 Comet below found a new city tag that was common on the front of cars in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
    It has the name of the town: CREEDMOOR and NC in smaller print.

NC is one of the single state registration plates so front plates can be whatever you
    want.
    Some towns apparently required the city tags if you lived in town limits. I have heard that some towns would let you get by without putting money in a parking meter if you had that tag on front as evidence of a tax paying resident.

Seth

[​IMG]

13. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    City tags look like this:

[​IMG]

14. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Anybody know anybody that can make metal tags? I'd love to get a set of tags made that duplicated my originals. BY the way Tim, if you ever run across a set of 72 VA tags DJZ 513, buy them. I'll take them!!

15. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Here you go ... a little pricey but they supposedly can do it ...

http://www.licenseplates.tv/