Looking for Advise/ Opinions

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Kelly Evans, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    There is obviously some very talented paint folks on this board. I know absolutely nothing about painting a car but every where you look there seems to be Learn to Paint books,videos etc. Can anyone recommend something that is practical to someone wanting to try there hand at painting . I intend on one day doing my Maverick but my first project is a (hiding my face) 92 cheby truck all the white paint is falling off. I figure if I screw it up o well. I am not looking for factory great for my first job just respectable if that makes since. I have been told just to sand the old paint off and repaint over the old primer that the problem was the paint not the primer and have been told by others it all has to come down to bare metal and go back with new primer base coat clear coat etc. I was just wondering if I am going to bite off more than I can chew ( it will be sprayed outside ( no paint booth or enclosed shop) . Checked a couple of paint/body shops local and was told they dont do paint jobs on trucks, to labor intensive but if I wreck it they will fix and paint the damage. A friend said he knows of a paint shop that will do it but wants $2500-$3000 to paint it. Just trying to figure options-any advise would be appriecated and I apoligise for being long winded.:D :D

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    My opinion.....do all the prep work ahead of time and take it somplace like Maaco and have them shoot it. You will be happier in the long run.

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    kelly, i took my truck and had it painted for the same reason. i would suggest finding a shop that would paint it and ask what all they are going to do for the money. that way you will have an idea of what you will need to do. the est. might be free advice from a pro. jmo...frank...

4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I third the motion with one exception...DON'T TAKE IT TO MAACO!!! I've heard one too many horror stories at least in this region about Maaco. Doing the prep work will save you big $$$, if you're up to it. That's what I'm doing to my 4 door. I have all the paint supplies already and have a friend's shop lined up to shoot it in the early spring. The do-it-yourself instructional books and videos are all well and good, as I have a couple in different topics myself. They are absolutely no substitute for hands-on teaching. If you have someone to help you and where and what to practice on, you can master anything. Good painting is something that takes time and practice to learn and master, like body work and welding. I'm getting pretty good with rattle cans. Just look at my $25 fiberglass truck cap that looks like brand new now. Spray guns are another animal. I still have to master them...in time.

5. Camtemple

Camtemple Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    I've done a lot of preping cars for paint....and doing it yourself will save you a truck full of money, good idea to have a good body shop paint it. I just got my 1970 Maverick done, $2grand for body work and paint.....but the paint was pricey 50 per quart, (inferno red pearl coat).

When your doing the truck, a lot of the mid 80's to mid 90's pealers weren't prepared properly from factory.... the reason they peal is because they weren't properly sanded/sandblaseted from the factory, so the paint just fakes off once you get one little chip. So when your repainting that one it might be a good idea to get it either gel blasted, then shoot a good 5 coats of primer then sand the hell out of it, or just sand the hell out of it, but it won't be a perfect paint job. But that might not be what your looking for. I sanded down an entired Van once right to the metal.... that was a job and a half.

One suggestion about your maverick, before you get it painted.... look for rock chips and make sure the primer is 100% smooth, the more time and detail put into the prep work the better the end result. When i got my Mav painted the guy finishing the body work didn't look for paint chips so i have a few of those allready... kinda a piss off, but i can't complain for how much it cost 2grand canadian for body work and paint you can't go wrong with.

Do your research, and it would be wize to learn how to properly use a block sander and guide coat to find all the high and low spots so you can get that baby looking prime.

6. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Thanks for all the advise, due to 7 day work weeks and other factors I found a shop that took all the old paint off, primered and using the old automotive type single stage paint two toned it for $900. Better than the 2800 the other places wanted to base coat clear coat it and it came back looking good. Not sure how accurate my estimates were but figuring buying a DA sander, hoping my 30 gal sears compresser would run it and my cheapo spray gun would have shot the primer and paint( was told that was not a good idea that really needed two spray guns and they should have regulator on the guns which my chepo dont), got the primer, paint, sandpaper wet and dry various grits and hoping for clear weather in December/January to spray it outside I would have had 400-500 in materials alone and if I screwed it up a second shoot would have paid for the shop. (Those figures were from other friends not the shop) Was going to post before and after pics(even though its a Cheby) but cant figure how to shrink them from almost 200mb. Thanks again for all input, maybe I'll get brave and try painting my old pickup body trailer to match-cant screw that up to bad...:D

7. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Correction/Question

Sorry the pic size is almost 200kb not mb but still cant get them down to 105 or lower. These pics were taken with 35mm film and printed on disc by the film processor, would that be why they are so large or if I buy a digital camera is the download from the camera to the computer going to be the same size? I would like to take some befores and as I goes of the Maverick if and when I get started good on it..

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    You should be able to shrink your pictures down. There are some free programs out there. Search this board, there was a couple mentioned here. Or you can email them to me and I will shrink them for you.

Mavaholic@aol.com

9. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    kelly, you can email me one or bring the disk by and we will see what we can do to it. i mean with it:D :D ...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

10. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Attempt at Pics

This will look like the passenger side before pic but it is actually the drivers side-something screwed up with the processing

Attached Files:

11. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    front before and you can picture the roof,tailgate and other side as bad:(

Attached Files:

12. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    And After

Thanks for humoring me, learning to edit/post pics

Attached Files:

13. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Last one of truck

Paperwork says 3 year warranty on paint- I guess we will see Thanks again for all your replies, like I said maybe I will try to paint the old bedbody trailer to match for my first paint project,that will get me ready for the Mav:D

Attached Files:

14. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    da Maverick for now

I will try to wash it up and pull it out over the next days off and get some better pics-Thanks again

Attached Files:

15. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :bananaman :bananaman truck looks great. think he would paint my 73' grabber?...frank...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: