Manual Disc Brake Conversion ?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 19Grabber72, Jan 24, 2012.

1. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    Okay
    I have looked at all the conversion stuff in the tech articles etc. Problem is I can't find parts worthy of getting to do the switch. I would like to have disc on the front but also want to have good ones etc.
    So is there a simple new, say Mustang, brake set up that I can get to --plug and play so to speak with little effort etc.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
  3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
  4. baddad457

baddad457 Member

I converted my 77 to manual discs. You need the pedal and hanger for a manual brake car to do it. Plus a regular old (rebuilt)manual disc mastercylinder. And will have to do a little moding to the brake lines at the mastercylinder. No big deal.

5. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    New meaning not some part off a salvaged car and more importantly something I can buy from a company that I can just mount using what I already have with the drums. Of course I know you have to change things, but I thought there might be something out there that is a kind of "take off the old" and mount new machined parts with little to no modifications to mount and make work.

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I am not aware of anything that uses the drum spindle. It is easy to change out the spindles...so you might as well go with a kit like the one on www.discbrakeswap.com

7. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    I am not aware of any non standard maverick brake component that does not require some sort of modding to make work. The granada/Mav disc set up is the easey way to go and all the parts, short of the spindles can be had brand new...

8. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    Gotcha.

As far as bolt on and go, I'm with Craig.
    MustangSteve's brackets use the drum spindle, but you have to acquire (purchase new or used) calipers and rotors. Then you have to make the brake line work. AND they require 17" wheels.

9. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I wud go w/ what Craig suggest if I wanted all non-boneyard parts and did'nt mind spending the bucks. Also, can use any size wheels u desire and frm what I can see everything "parts wise" is in the kit.

10. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    I used spindles and out from a 1973 mustang. Also used a replacement master for a manual disc granada if I remember right. Completely straightforward swap except I had to have some custom brake hoses made up. There are probably some hoses in existence that would have fit, but I didn't want to mess around going through a bunch.

11. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
  12. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I know this post is a week or so old, but there are at least two companies that make direct bolt on conversions (from one you can actually buy the brake lines that will adapt directly to your Maverick) and use the standard drum spindles, although they are not cheap, they very well done pieces.
    One is www.wilwood.com and they have 11", 11.75" and 12" rotors.
    The other is www.aerospacecomponents.com and they actually have 10.5", 11", and 11.75" rotors.

The only issue is fitting the rotors and calipers into your rims. Go to the Wilwood site and look for your Maverick, then click on the PDF instructions they have and it will give you dimensions for fitting the 11" rotor and caliper into a wheel.

13. Nomake Wan

Nomake Wan Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 4-door
    I wonder why no one has mentioned this conversion? The price seems quite good, it comes with spindles that bolt right on (and more than justify the cost, from what I can tell) and should work fine on our cars. I e-mailed just to be sure and he did send a message back saying it'd bolt right up to my '74. I see the thread creator has a '72 so that should work as well.

http://ultrastang.com/products3.php

I'm probably going to go this route personally. It doesn't look like it leaves anything out and I'd rather not have any surprises while the car's up in the air, you know?

14. silver70

silver70 Eric

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick
    I swapped in the manual disc spindles off a '74 4-door Mav. I grabbed the proportioning valve too; just in case. Bought re-manned calipers from NAPA along with new pads and master cylinder. Minor mods to the lines and, after 4 years, no issues with anything so far (knock on wood).

15. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    I like the looks of that kit. Let people know if you do get it. I'm going to take a serious think on it myself.