Maverick Door handles

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Craig Selvey, May 18, 2003.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I finally worked on my orange mav today. Put on the outside door handles, brand new out of the box. I have to admit I went to a swap meet and I bought the cheapest repoped door handles I could find.

Well, fresh out of the box, still wrapped in plastic, they are starting to pit. Cleaned them up, but I think they will still start pitting again.

Was wondering what those of you have used and can you recommend a door handle (Mustang is the same...that is what I bought). I want to buy some that WON'T pit.

Any suggestions on where to buy and what to avoid (Too late in my situation).

2. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Hmmm.....sounds like an application for powder coating if you can't find a source.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Almost all reproduction stuff is never as good as factory. I bought a set of cheapies from CJ Poney Parts. I used them on the 77 and they seem to be holding up fine. You can probably still get the NOS ones from Ford.

4. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Good thing Carlisle is coming up. If you can't find it there.....it doesn't exist!!

5. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I hope I didn't make a mistake. Auto Krafters had a set of repro door handles, complete, on eBay for half price and I ordered them. Anybody use the ones from them? I hope you and I don't become "birds of a feather" on this one, Craig.

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I just put a pair of Autokrafter's on mine. Worked ok, but you have to reuse the plate that the button pushes against from your stock handles. The new ones are too big for the hole in the door. And when your finished check that your doors lock and unlock with a key, right Dennis! My door wouldn't unlock same as yours. Luckily I was still in my garage.

7. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    YEA, I looked for that thread but I guess the search feature wont go back that far. Its pretty funny now.

8. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    I didn't get mine from AutoKrafters.

I did notice that the plate was too big on the new handles, but if you rotated the handle 90 degrees and put it in the hole, then gently rotate it back to the correct position...it can be done.

I will shop/ask around and see what I come up with as far as a better "plated" door handle. I will let you all know.

9. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Mine came yesterday from Auto Krafters. They're beautiful and look well made for repros, but we'll see how they hold up over time. Shame is that I doubt that I'll have time to put them on before we leave for Carlisle. Damn! I doubt that the Comfort Suites would appreciate me being out in the parking lot putting them on Thursday evening.

10. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Bring them and put them on Friday at the show. Judging is Saturday anyway. Would be a good "How To" clinic.