maverick emblem glue

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by bowstick, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bowstick

bowstick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 302
    what kind of glue should i use for installing the maverick emblem?
    the spot where the old one was has some glue residue left...and so does the "new" one im gonna put on. im guessing i should remove it from the car and the "new" emblem.

but what kind of glue and how can i remove it from the car without it removing the paint

thanks...
    pat

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    The only emblem that was held on via adhesive was the decklid emblem ... is that what you are talking about?

3. bowstick

bowstick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 302
    yes thats the one...on the back of the car...

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    3M has a product called Emblem Adhesive. That is what we use to glue emblems back on a car. You can find this glue at many auto parts stores. To remove the old glue form the car, I use a product called Goof-Off. It will remove darn near any kind of glue, including emblem adhesive. You can remove the old glue form the back of the emblem by scrapping it off with a razor blade and then wiping the emblem off with a paint solvent or rubbing alcohol.

5. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    The factory rear emblem used double sided tape. One side was already adhered to the emblem so I guess going down the line the installer simply peeled the backing off and stuck it to the car. I know the NOS ones are installed that way. The problem is ... after 30 years even the NOS one I had the adhesive was no longer any good.

If you have the original one from your car make sure you still have a good layer of the black tape on it ... you want to glue the black tape to the car ... not the actual metal emblem itself ...

Since I had an NOS one ... I merely peeled off the original backing and used the 3M emblem adhesive like Jean indicated above ... you don't need much. I put it on with a small Testors model paint brush to insure good coverage without making a mess. Press into place and then use strips of masking tape to hold in place while drying. It also helps to leave the decklid open while drying ... between the decklid being open and the tape it won't move. Let dry for 24 hours ...

FYI ... Maverick Emblem used on Grills is identical to the decklid emblem ... the only difference is that it was adhered to the orange backing and mounting plate and installed on the grill. If you have trouble finding a nice decklid emblem you can carefully take apart a grill emblem to get the correct piece.

6. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    On Tammy's car I bought some double sided tape from Home Depot. Peeled one side stuck it to the emblem then trimed around the letters with an exato knife. Then peel and stick like the original.

7. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    You can buy 2 sided emblem tape from the parts store. I used this on some F150 emblems. I covered the back of the emblem with tape, then carefully trimmed around and inside the letters with a razor blade. It's a little tedious, but it works and looks great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  8. dmhines

Vehicle:
    I considered the 3M tape ... but figured I would never be able to trim it as nice as the factory tape ... :)

9. soooulpower

soooulpower Semi-Informed Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2 1974 four door Mavericks, one Black, one pastel lime
    if you're handy with an exacto knife it shouldn't be too tough to do.

10. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I was at my local WalMart on Saturday and they carry the 3M Molding Tape as well.