Maverick's with booming stereos

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 74Maverick, Jan 1, 2004.

1. 74Maverick

74Maverick Maverick Maniac

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick I bought for $500 8 years ago when I was 16. Since then I have invested $30,000 into it.
    I am into stereos as much as Mavericks.

Attached Files:

2. 74Maverick

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick I bought for $500 8 years ago when I was 16. Since then I have invested $30,000 into it.
    This is a better pic of 3 Xtant amps powering over 1000 watts. EQL trunk mount equalizer. 2xs trunk mount x-over. In trunk 3 JL 12w6's. Front stage Boston Acoustic Pro 5.5. Alpine flagship head. Wanted to see if there was any other Maverick/Stereo junkies.

Attached Files:

3. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what you said! Could you repeat it? :D

4. 74Maverick

Vehicle:
    Yeah! I hit a wopping 143.6 db with that bad boy. I was worried i was going to get a lot of, why did you put a loud system in a classic car. My original idea was to have a car that could compete in shows, on the track, and in the stereo comps. Still working on all three aspects. 74Maverick, Thom

5. 74Maverick

Vehicle:
    Better pic of the Mav

Attached Files:

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    thom, i saw a 4dr. in the bone yard that had the back seat removed and the whole back end all the way throught the trunk were speakers. the box they built had 15 holes for speakers. there were two batts. in the trunk and two alts. on the 250 motor. that was sound a plenty...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

7. 74Maverick

Vehicle:
    Wow, well, way to make use of the room in the back of a 4-door. I cant even imagine what something like that would had sounded like. I cant even handle what my speakers put out. When I take the car to do an SPL check and sound quality the put a mic in the center of the car, shut the doors and crank it up w/ a remote for my alpine head unit. Thom

8. comet dad

comet dad Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    :rolleyes: I would love to amp up what I have in mine
    only problem is I need to hear the engine to make sure it is still running .......Robert:oops:
    nothing worse than having it cranked up at a red light and the engine dies .......
    had that happen once with a 86 merc Lynx XR3
    2 12's and coustic 460amp
    turned out the timing belt had stripped
    had put a new one in a year earlier........

in the back seat though .........:oops:

9. Rob C

Rob C Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick 250 3spd auto 78trans am 400 "some" go fast goodies:)
    74 do you did you hook up all that stuff yourself or have it done? all i have stereo wise is a new dash speaker and two sony 6x9's(they were on sale cheap) on the deck. i wanted to get a new head unit so i can actually play cd's and get a better radio signal.i wanted to go with an alpine headunit. this one...

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8864&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=68518

but i dont have a clue when it comes to stereos and i hear nothing but bad things about installations from the local places like best buy ,circuit city, tweeter.

how hard is the installation and what do i need?

10. MaverickRunner

MaverickRunner Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302
    No radio, just 8 speakers.....:D

11. paul cooper

paul cooper Member

Vehicle:
    72 ford mav.73 mav. grabber
    Lets see the whole car. What I have seen looks real good.:bananaman :clap: :bananaman

12. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    I run a pair of 12's and a pair of 6x9's off a 400 watt amp, mounted the 12's flush against the rear of the metal supports behind the back seat, then put black carpet over that area and on the back of the rear seat, now I have a nice flip down back seat that still keeps the speakers stealth, I also run a JVC head unit and put on a EQ. I'd have to say that the EQ is what took a good stereo and turned it into a great stereo.

RobC, Installing your own deck is not hard at all, any dummy can do it, just don't let yourself get intimidated by all the wires. Some Mavericks require that you cut to put in the style of stereo that you are looking at. Do you have the long rectangle shaped opening (DIN) or a small rectangle hole with two knob holes on each side? I'm not sure if Mavericks ever came with speakers in the back, mine just came with a crappy little tiny speaker in the middle of the dash. :mad: You might need to run new wires to the back. Red and Yellow are the wires that are your power, one needs constant power to keep your clock right and the other doesn't require constant power, I don't remember which one is which right now so just check your instructions, the black wire is your ground. And the rest are your speaker outputs, generally white and grey are up front and purple and green are the rear. Each set of colors will have one solid color and one with a black stripe on it, the black stripe is your neg and the solid is your pos. Sounds like alot of work but it really isn't hard, just takes a while to get it the way you want it, so give yourself a good chunk of time to do it.

13. 74Maverick

Vehicle:
    Rob C, I do all of my installs myself. The only part of the system that in most cases is worth having the dealer put in is the head unit. Most manufacturers will not give you the full lenght of waranty w/o a dealer install. If you get one used i can install it w/ ease just PM. Ill give you directions and get that head unit in for you. You can either get an install kit for a single din or I used the duplicate of the am radio plate I had for the Mav and dremeled it out so I could mount my head to it. Deal w/ Tweeter for install and products(If you really want to get sick) dont plan on saving money going there but you get what you pay 4. My buddy Jay Schreir is the installer there hes the best of the best I learned alot from him. To give you an idea the extensiveness of my system I spent more on wires/Ground and power blocks than most people will spend on there whole system. Got to go to bed will type more tomorrow falling a sleep. Sorry:oops: Thom

14. 74Maverick

Vehicle:
    Couldnt resist, got a smoke and got a second wind. Rudy explained it perfectly. If you think at any point you are going to run amps, while you already have carpet pulled up to run the speaker wires you want to also run: 2 RCA cables back from the head unit/the blue remote wire/4 ga power wire from the battery back. Theres a trick to running the speaker to make it easy to convert to amps later. Run power wire down one side of car and all signal wires down the other this will avoid any distortion from power wire. The ground for the amps will be mounted in the trunk good ground needed. As far as building boxes or amp racks I do all of that too. Just cant do fiberglass yet. I can always let you see what i ve done with mine to give you an idea.
    Need to see more pics of Maverick Runners car too! Thom

15. MaverickRunner

MaverickRunner Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302
    nothing special........