Metal Flake paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by johndep, Sep 17, 2004.

1. johndep

johndep New Member

Vehicle:
    1976 4-door
    I am taking the plunge, and changing color on my 76 4-door going from factory red to 2003 chrysler prowler tangerine pearl.

I am using PPG base/clear system and want to kick up the impact by using metal Flake in the clear coat. House of Kolor makes many Metal Flake colors and sizes, but I don't know how to envision the impact of these over the tangerine color. At this point I am trying to decide between silver and gold flake. Anyone with experience? Your comments would be helpful.

Johndep

2. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    I'm in the process of checking out the 2004 Acura NSX color, Imola Orange Pearl for my Comet. Looking at PPG also. Don't know how metalflake would effect the color. I'm not going with anything except the color (no extras). Hope to get it done this winter.

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Are you supposed to use metal flake in the clear topcoat? I would think you would have issues sanding and buffing it out ... Shouldn't the flake go in the basecoat?

4. johndep

johndep New Member

Vehicle:
    1976 4-door
    Metal Flake

Thanks Blown76MAV.

Since I am doing all the paint work myself, I ordered the House of Kolor Orange Flake, will add Flake to first coat of clear over the tangerine pearl paint. The plan is to shoot the jams/Trunk/engine compartment before winter reassemble the car, then shoot the exterior next Spring.

If the paint turns out as nice as I hope I will post pictures.

John(y)dep