Modding Bobcat tail lights

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Mercury-beast, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Mercury-beast

Mercury-beast Member

Vehicle:
    1975 ford maverick in process of having a 89 roller
    very nice do you think this would work on a 75 comet?

2. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Dual Taillights on a COMET

Yep ! I've converted four Comets so far to dual taillights and installed 68 Mustang Back up lights in the rear valance . Looks great , and the difference if visibility is dramatic. If you're interested I'll send you some photos. Not a big deal to convert. :) Cometized

3. 71nogo

71nogo Member

Vehicle:
    71 grabber
    i'm interested!

4. Backtooldschool

Backtooldschool Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    \

Hi 71nogo:
    Find a set of Donor Comet Taillight assemblies FIRST with good Brake and Turn Signal Lenses .. You won't need
    the backup lenses if you're going for the four dual taillight setup. There are LED's also that will fit into the COMET housings and yield a much brighter light. Sequential LED Taillights are now available for the COMET .I have an article on my website www.cameoclub .com that will show you how to put the Mustang back-up Lights in the Rear Valance . Its not as difficult as you might think. I'll go into greater detail if and when you decide to do this and get the Donor items. Lemmeno .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

jasonwthompson likes this.
  6. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Chip, thanks for the article, this is on my to do list. Did you have any problems with the leaf spring shackles interfering with the lights?

7. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Jason:
    We had to trim a very small portion on the rear frame rail to accommodate one of the Back Up lights ..Otherwise there were no obstacles to completing this improvement. We removed the valance , eyeballed where the backup lights had the least interference and then started the fitting. The Back Up lights were a real welcome addition.
    The Dual Taillights really make a huge difference by themselves.. and with LED's it's even brighter. I have the
    bulb numbers for a LED unit that fits into the standard Comet sockets but is much brighter. Lemmeno if you need
    those also. ( I have since installed the sequential dual taillights for even more visibility ) .. We have some people here in Florida that like to climb right up on your hiney in traffic .. so I don't touch my Brakes .. but I turn the "Parking Lights " ON whether it's daytime or night ..and then I watch the car behind me go into a 'panic stop' and they usually back off .
    Cometized
    (Chip)