Modern Head Units With Old Style

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Maverick73, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    I’m sure some of you have gone after getting a new CD player for your car, but wanting one with an older style, since almost everyone I see now days is a gaudy ugly ass unit. They don't seem to have any with a normal knob on each side like a factory radio, except expensive ones made for Mustang. So I would like to see some players that have a tasteful look without being too expensive. Thanks

2. PAINTANK

PAINTANK Cometosis Obsessivus

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr
    I have a tape deck.

3. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    A good solution for you might be a cd changer with an RF modulator. Then you can use your factory radio to listen to cds. The sound quality however will pretty much suck using the factory stuff. You could always leave the stock radio in and put a modern aftermarket unit somewhere hidden, but it becomes inconvenient to opperate. It's all give and take.

4. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Im asking this for a different car, but it can relate to Mavericks/Comets also. The thing is, I want to replace the stock AM/FM Radio, and put a CD player in. But I don't want a ugly looking unit. I want pictures or links.

5. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    I bought mine at Target for $39.95 ..manual tuning with digital display.. not digital tuner though (small knob on the right hand side onf the unit). . You can feel the resistance when you tune in a station. Very modest looking simple design looks very clean in my dash. A little " station drift" now and then but hey it was only $40 and no one is gonna wanna steal it, it does have a CD player too. I like it becuse it has a litle bit of the feel of the radios of our car's era but also feels modern too with out being crazy gaudy. Oh and there are no preset stations

6. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I have always liked this head unit we put in my dad's Mustang a few years ago. I think it would look be perfect in a early package tray dash Maverick. When it's off, it dosen't even look like a stereo. It has a remote so you can still change stations and stuff with the face closed. Or you can open the face to put a CD in. It controls a 10 disc CD changer in the trunk, also. It is several years old now though, doubt they still make it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  7. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    CDs= R.I.P.
    Head units= R.I.P.

I use a Sansa 'pod' as a head unit.
    4 gig of music and an FM tuner all in one.
    Right now run it through an RF mod, but I am setting up a 4 channel amp that the pod will feed directly from it's hiding spot.
    Then the primary amp will feed the sub amp.
    Done.
    The pod is now the head unit.
    Much cheaper and cleaner.

8. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    that sounds pretty interesting, what is a sansa pod exactly? How did you wire it in?

9. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
  10. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    A Sansa Pod is a Sansa MP3 Player.

11. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    here you go

[​IMG]

if the photos gone it becuase i'm using their bandwidth... that's what they get for being rude to me... lol.

but they do still make them but down right ugly to me... but if you looking for retro this is it. for the price though you can get a nice pioneer that does about 50xs more then this unit.

true but you lose quality though a Modulator... and you can hear it! nothing like clean sound though RCA or a direct sound.

best to get a in dash CD player that just plays Mp3z. never understood why people use their IPod to plug into the car when they can just burn about 500 songs on a CD and just play it that way in the radio. save the trouble of halling a Ipod every where you go. I have an Ipod i never use it.. lol! someone want to buy it...lol! cell phones mp3 players have taken the use for those away big time.... or in my case a PSP... lol!

12. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    that's one UUUUUUGLY headunit. No offence to whoever made it but that would not go in any car I drive.

13. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I couldn't agree more... burn a crap load of MP3's to a cd, and listen for weeks without hearing the same song twice. Plus you can organize them in folders, so if you want to hear something specific, like Metallica or something, you just scroll to the Metallica folder. The head unit my brother has in his car also has a USB port on it. You can either connect a laptop with a USB cable to it, or you can plug a USB memory stick with MP3's on it right into the head unit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  14. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    The unit I have in my MAverick is the same as your Brothers and I love it. You can listen to MP3's froma CD or plug in a USB stick or an MP3 player into the USB port and mine also has a memory card slot behind the motorized faceplate that excepts Flash memory or SD memory card

15. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the replies. After looking, I will most likely be going with this player, when the time comes. Best looking one I could find without spending an arm and a leg. If anyone has any experience or opinions regarding this player or one like it, please feel free to share it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007