More roof questions

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Erick-Mav, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I picked up my donor roof from the junkyard and am going to replace the rusted roof (I'll take pictures of the process). I cut the roof off at the bottom of the posts.

My question is what method is better, cutting the roof and welding the new one on along a cut line or separating the roof from the car at the lead factory joints and installing the new one at these factory connection areas? I'm leaning towards the method of cutting and welding along a line that is the same on both cars. Any ideas on a method to scribe the same line at the posts on both roofs?

I know from researching this forum that the rear posts have the factory joint in the middle and have a brace and spot/arc welds at the connection. The factory joint at the front posts is near the top, but I don't know how it is connected? I haven't found where the connection is for the middle post. Is there such a connection?

Sorry to keep reposting questions about roof replacement but any help would be great.

Thanks,
    -Erick

2. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I guess I stumped the board.:( Any advice before I go for it on this project.:confused:

3. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Do a search on the board, Tom and Ken just replaced the roof on his Comet (in a weekend! ). Don't think alot of details were posted but he can probably help you out.

4. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    Yeah I started that thread and tried contacting him to get some details but no luck. Thanks though. I've searched the internet for hours and the library too. I'll probably just cut it and re-weld where I cut, it probably doesn't matter too much because it isn't going to be a show car, just a relatively rust free, decent looking Mav.

Thanks

5. kenscomet

kenscomet Member

Vehicle:
    72 comet
    Hi it's under (roof replacement) there are some pics. 1st I put in some braces to keep everything from moving then took some measurements form set points on the door brace to the roof rail, then cut off low on the A,B & C piller. Then cut the donor roof to match as close as possible and Tom welded it on. And by the way it only took us about 3 to 4 hrs. and a 12 pack so it can be done. I hope this helps and good luck :smash: :smash:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  6. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    Awesome, thanks for the help.:)

7. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    We went in that direction because in my opinoin it's easier than removing the lead. The lead in a maverick roof is used as a filler not an adhesive. The roof panel is spot welded at the front window, rear window, inner stucture, along with the drip rail. That's alot of spot welds to break/drill along with messing with the drip rail wich is spot welded to the A and B pillars and sandwiched inbetween the inner structure and roof.

So agian this is my opinoin and not a fact that cutting the post low and welding them back is easier then removing the lead.