Mounting 74 Mav armrest in 72 Comet door

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Apr 30, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, I have cut out the two squares of material that are needed so that I can mount the bottom part of the armrest, but there is no metal where the top of the armrest is supposed to screw in. The tab where it should mount is just inside the big hole.

Below pictures show that there was an angle on the hole in the 74 original door where the top screw drilled in, but in the older 72 Comet door that hole is rounded out and the top mount would fall just inside the hole if I want it to line up with my stock door panel.

Any suggestions for making a mount.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Are you going to be moving the door handle release (for the interior) as well?? How are you going to do that?

3. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I just got back in from looking at that, and figure the "correct" way to do this is to cut the front 1/3 of the panel from top to bottom out of the yellow door and weld it into the front 1/3 of the black/blue door. Then I would have the original holes to line up with for both items.

I would have to finally buy a welder, first.

So, that means I would have to install the door jamb and outside handle and open from the outside until I can finish this project. Also, no window, because I wouldn't want to get slag all over my window gear.

This will sure lighten my car...no window, no panel, no door reinforcing brace, etc. Just lost about 60 lbs but only on one side. Driver side is getting heavier (er, I am getting heavier) and the passenger side is getting lighter...

4. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    scott thats kinda what i did on my passenger door. i just did the upper hole

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Sounds to me like I would look for another door.

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I am stuck with this one...it was hard enough to find, is perfectly straight and rust free, and completely disassembled and POR-15 coated throughout. This door will be around for a long, long time.

Besides, it gives me that excuse I needed to buy that welder.