My Restoration has begun!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Feb 5, 2003.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Thanks to my buddy having a shop and alot of patience to show me what to do - I have the satisifaction of restoring the Grabber myself. The previous owner did a major cosmetic restoration which covered a lot of problem area's. I definitely paid too much for the car but it is a well documented Grabber and will look awesome when I'm done. My friend is a 20 year body man and is a stickler for straight lines, perfect gaps and smooth body panels. He told me since it's coming out of his shop - it has to be perfect! His first reaction when he saw the car was - those rockers need to go!! Check out my NOS rockers going on. Some hammer action got the Mustang pans in the back. More to follow ...

The 64 Vette is what he is currently working on.

http://homepage.mac.com/dmhines/PhotoAlbum6.html

Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Aint nothing like doing it yourself. Gives you Mega bragging rights. That blue motor going in the vette?

3. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

I have to say it is exciting to see someone's Maverick being restored. It's inspirational to the rest of us. It has been too dog gone cold up here to work my projects . . . I can't wait to start working on mine. Keep the pictures coming!!! :D

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I absolutely LOVE seeing in progress pics of cars. What some may not understand is that, within a few pics, a car is not restored. But in many pics, with some info related to each pic, a car is reborn through the camera lense. Now if people would take pictures of people actually doing the work, and how grundgy and tired they are, shops around the country would double in business. Man, it takes alot of blood, sweat and tears, but I would not trade it for anything. To me, it's therapy.
    My wife snapped a pic of me painting my 60 Pontiac, and the paint hanging in the air did some weird stuff with the flash of the camera and it ended up looking like watching someone paint a car while you were under the influence.
    Dan
    ;)

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    1. Under the influnce of what?
    2. How would you know?
    3. Wasent the 60's and 70's great?

6. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    purple haze..... but seriously...those pics actually help me forget the cold (at least for a little while longer) and go play with the car. this weekend it is bucket seats for the 70 and minor tune-up for the 72. the radio bezel to the machinist for cutting so the alpine system looks perfect in it. hope i get all this done before the next round of snow (tomorrow) and the ensuing arctic blast. it fugures that this year me n todd get (by our standards) heavy into out mavs and we have a really cold winter.

7. Tomm's '73

Tomm's '73 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber,73 Maverick
    Pans

I'm in the process of welding my pans in now. What is the gray stuff around the pan you put on before you put the por on? I hope I can get this done before I leave. I got about another 10 days before the army is going to ship me out of here. Sadaam would have to start something when I just started on my Mav.

8. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    That gray stuff is seam sealer. Seals up the welds nice and tight from the elements before coating everythings with POR.

9. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    tom... first of all... thank you for doing what you do! second... now this war is getting personal for you! that SOB saddam is cutting into your maverick time.
    all the politics aside...that's enough to piss me off!

10. Tomm's '73

Tomm's '73 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber,73 Maverick
    Scott, Thanks. It is getting personal. I finished the floor pans today! They came out pretty good. I got them finished just in time too. I'll be heading out in the next couple of days. I guess my 4 link and mustang II front end will have to wait till I return. Hope I get internet access at least once a month so I can keep up with this forum. You guys take it easy and thanks for all your help thus far. Tomm

11. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Tomm; Be carefull over there, and watch your six.

Godspeed,

Earl