Need a fix for ???

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by tomeriker, May 29, 2005.

1. tomeriker

tomeriker Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick project..
    Have been scratching my head on this one. I am a newbie to body work and am having difficulty figuring out how to fix a strange dent. It is in the drivers side front fender. right on top. I can push up and it pops right out but with very little effort on top it pops right back down. I have taken the fender loose and tried to realign, too no avail. could use kitty hair and fill it but am worried that it will just pop out after paint.. Anyone with any ideas?? :huh: driving me to:drink: and act like :bananaman thanks guys

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The metal has been stretched. Thats why it pops back in so easily. You need to fix the dent and stay away from fillers as much as possible. There are many good "how to" books in the library and online. Or you could try working part time at a body shop or take a course. Basically you have to undent it starting from the outside of the dent and working in. Hammers, dollies and a good shrinking hammer are a must and not that expensive.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    What you have there is what we call an oil can dent. In other words, the metal is stretched so the dent will pop in and out like an oil can. Just filling it with fiberglass or bondo won't help. You need to " lock" the metal so the dent stays popped up. With the fender on the car, pop the dent up. Then take a piece of a 2 by 4 and lay it in the fender jamb so the wood is up against the fender and in line with the dent. Take a good heavy hammer and smack the other edge of the 2 by 4 towards the fender. Don't hit the wood so hard as to put another dent in the fender, but hard enough so that when you push back down on the area where the dent was that the dent does not pop back down. That should lock the metal back in place.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "Hammers, dollies and a good shrinking hammer are a must and not that expensive."
    ....and a piece of 2x4...:biglaugh: :biglaugh: ...frank...:bouncy:

5. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    2x4

hey now, my favorite body tool is a 2x4, knocked out many a dent with one, I always keep one in my shop....right next to my body hammer collection...Jim(y)