Need advice in Repairing Significant Rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by lpolson07, Jul 19, 2010.

1. lpolson07

lpolson07 Member

Vehicle:
    76 Maverick, 72 Comet
    Alright so my 76 is by no meens rust free and I want to take care of the major stuff a.s.a.p. and on my own.

Here are my issues:

1. Passenger side floor pan has a hole in it about 8x8 inches.

here is what I have read: Purchasing reproduction 71 Mustang floor pans is a desired way to go?

2. My rear quarters (both sides) are rusted through the bottoms and into my trunk.

Where can I find an aftermarket piece to weld in here or do I have to fab my own?

Its getting dark now so pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: The picture I put below is off a car resto vid on youtube. The part I circled in blue is where my mav is rusted on either side....where do I buy a replacement? Or if I need to fab what guage sheet metal and how should it be shaped?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    You can use 64 to 70 pans with a bit of trimming. 71 to 73 pans...I dont know.
    You will need to source quarters from a donor. You can buy re-popped full quarter panels for Mavs/Comets but the pinch weld area is non existant on the re-pops.(this is usually gone on rusted quarters)
    As for the inner quarter drop down area (snowshoe) its a flate piece of steel. You can fab these yourself if you have a pair of tin snips.
    Whatever you do and however you do it...Be certain to remove all rusted metal and neutralize the rust on stuff you cant remove before welding the new stuff on or you will be in the same boat in the future...Good luck!!!

3. lpolson07

lpolson07 Member

Vehicle:
    76 Maverick, 72 Comet
    On the pans should I just use the portion I need or cut out and replace the whole pan? Little more work but worthwhile in the long run?

I am still confused on the snowshoe portion...

4. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    I'd just cut out and replace what is needed.

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I'm using 64-70 Mustang front pans on my project car right now. It you look at the way the Maverick floor is layed out, everything from the front sub frame rails in towards the transmission tunnel, is pretty flat, and can be patched up with flat stock, but from the sub frame rails out to the rockers, has what I'd call beading, so that's where you can cut up the Mustang pan to fit (and very few people will ever be able to tell the difference, unless they are a Maverick nut).
    Also, the Mustang pans I bought had the lip bent down, but the Mavericks were bent up (from the factory) easy to fix.
    Post a picture of where the hole is in your car.
    As for the rear floors, that's another story.
    From the trunk drops, they are pretty simple to make, if you have a good side to make a pattern from. I bought a left and a right trunk drop from a rust free car, with the bottom of the quarter attached, they can be found, and that may be your best bet.

6. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    The snow shoe is the sheet metal piece you do see in the photo you posted. It is most commonly referred to as the trunk drop down or inner lower quarter.If you need to replace these, you can fab them from flat sheet metal. Use 18 guage steel for your sheetmetal repairs. Use 19 guage for the floor pans. You dont have to replace the whole floor pan, only the rusted areas. No one makes a lower quarter repair panel...You have to get em from a donor or buy full quarter skins which are reproduced, and cut off what you need from the full skins.BUT...The replacement skins do not have the lower pinch weld area(lip along bottom edge of quarter) which you will need or have to fabricate to attach the quarter skins properly.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010