Need fenders for a 71..fiberglass or metal?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by vinceking001, Sep 19, 2008.

1. vinceking001

vinceking001 Gearmonkey

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick
    Hello,

Both the fenders on my 71 Comet (converted to 71 mav front end) and I'm not sure if I should try to hunt down a set of metal ones or make the jump to fiberglass.

Generally speaking, I hear it's a lot of work to go to fiberglass but it may be more work to find fenders for this car. There's not too many left these days and I haven't found any metal aftermarket fenders. I'm finding fiberglass stuff everywhere, but no luck finding pattern metal fenders.

Which should I do? What do you guys think?

If you know of a place that sells pattern fenders, then i'll definitely go there. Otherwise I'm just not sure if it's worth trying to track down fenders and hope they're good enough to work with.

Thanks,
    Vince

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    If this thread was in the "Wanted" forum, it might attract folks with fenders to sell.

Fiberglass seems to be a starting point. In other words, you get the basic shape of the part you are buying, then have to cut out all the openings, shape all the contours, and trim all the excess fiber left on when they laid it in the mold. Lots of work, but if you can do the work yourself, rather than pay a body shop, you will eventually have a nice part.

3. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    id rather pay a body shop to fix my metal fenders then to fit a fiberglass set

the fiberglass aftermarket for these cars seems to be notorious for disgusting fit quality...

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    How bad are your fenders? Can they be repaired?

5. vinceking001

vinceking001 Gearmonkey

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick
    In my opinion they are not reparable, but I am no body man. They have what appears to be cancer rust on the tops and one fender has a weak spot that pops in and out. The passenger fender also has some considerable rust where the air dam mounts up. I don't feel good about fixing them. If a professional says he can fix them, then so be it but I'd much rather replace them with solid fenders.

I didn't want to put an ad in the wanted section quite yet since I'm leaving the country in 5 days, but I at least wanted to gather opinions. From what I'm gathering, it's not worth the trouble to go to glass. Instead, I'll just look around for some solid fenders when I get back.

6. 924 Mav

924 Mav Ed Winegar

Vehicle:
    (2) 1970 Mavericks and a 1971 4dr Maverick
    PM sent

7. 924 Mav

924 Mav Ed Winegar

Vehicle:
    (2) 1970 Mavericks and a 1971 4dr Maverick
    Another PM sent

8. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    the top flat surface of the fender poping in and out if you put pressure on it is actually normal.

most every fender ive seen with rust issues has just been rot between the wheel and the door in the corner at the bottom