Need help finding a thread

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jean Doll, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I recall reading a thread someone had posted about how they prepared thier rear interior panels for refinishing. The panels they had were very dry and flakey and who ever it was who posted the thread had found a way to remove the dried up plastic so the panels could be refinished. I have an idea as to go about prepping the red rear panels in our 77' Maverick, but I would like to re-read that thread again so I will know if I'm on the right track. The problem is I can't remember who posted the thread or how it was titled.:huh: Does anyone here remember which thread I'm refering too?

2. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    Jean I can't help you out with that but if you need another set. I have an extra if your interested (Black) The ones I have are for a 1972. I am not sure if they will fit a 1977 Let me know

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  3. tom butas

tom butas Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1974 Comet - Looking super nice 73 Maverick near Memphis
    Jean, I used 600 grit sandpaper,,got some of dupli color sandable primer that builds the surface, then painted...here are some pictures..

Attached Files:

4. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
  5. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I do believe that's the one. I was thinking along the lines of using a wire brush on the really bad areas. My husband tried sanding part of one with 180 grit on a DA, but I think it would smooth down the plastic too much. This is not going to be a show car, so I'm going to do what I can with them just to make them look decent again. Also, thanks for the offer just1993. I do have an extra pair of black panels I'm keeping for spares for my other 77' Maverick. I would love to find a nice set of rear panels in red, but I've got a feeling that would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks for your help guys.:)

6. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

when you sand the plastic.. you are just scuffing it up for the paint to stick.. if you use a DA sander, it could heat up and melt the plastic.. you just need to be careful... once you scuff upt he plastic, then you will want to wipe down with a cleaner/solvent like isopropyl alcohol.. dont use MEK or ACETONE.. they will melt the plastic. let the cleaner dry and then wipe down with a tack cloth lightly...

then sand with a filler primer, thick enough to fill the valleys if you dont want the textured look.

let the primer dry for a day or so.. then lightly wet sand with 400 grit sand paper.. letting the water wash over it as you sand.. be careful not to sand all the way through the primer. once you have a nice smooth surface.. wash with water.. no soap..

let dry completely.. then use alcohol again to wipe surface down.. let flash.. then use a new tack cloth.. once you have wiped it down good.. paint to match your interior.

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    HA! The old roto stripper thread = :dance:

That was me experimenting on some old panels. It did work and it left a non smooth surface that looked pretty good after I painted it with Fusion. (I don't use Fusion anymore because of some quirky issues with the stuff - I just use SEM products now). If you just want to clean them up for a driver, it worked well. Don't run the tool in one place too long or it will leave short lines.

There used to be pictures with that thread - don't see them anymore - :huh:

8. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    Unfortunately, I sold my near mint red panels this past summer!