Need vinyl roof material - anybody know a source???

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by DJBerson, Aug 9, 2004.

1. DJBerson

DJBerson Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door
    I would ideally like to get the original avocado color, but don't know if/where it is available. Will go with black if avodaco not available.

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    AutoKrafters carries the vinyl top material, but it is listed as a universal fit and only comes in black and white. The good thing about white vinyl is that it can be dyed any color you want. Mar-Hyde carries all different color vinyl top dyes.

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Good source for factory interior materials. Not cheap, though.

SMS Auto Fabrics
    2325 SE 10th Ave
    Portland, Oregon 97214
    503-234-1175

www.smsautofabrics.com

4. DJBerson

DJBerson Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door
    Thanks guys, I sent an inquiry to SMS today. I will let you know how I fare.

5. DJBerson

DJBerson Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door
    Wes- Thanks for the information, the color sample they sent me was PERFECT! $395 bought me a pre-made top in the correct fabric. It should arrive in 5 weeks.... I will let you know how it turns out. On another note, does anybody know what type of adhesive is used to lay it down?? Any installation tips??

6. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I'm glad it worked out so well, DJ.

I'm sure you already know to at least remove the front and back glass moulding first. Just make sure the roof is very clean. Did you check the roof metal for pitting and/or visible rust? I wouldn't be surprised to find some on most roofs given the age of our cars and the fact that the backing acts like a sponge when they age. When I stripped the vinyl off my 4 door, the pitting was everywhere. If you don't have any, you mist have been born under a lucky star or something. If there is some pitting, the best way to take care of it is with an acid etch primer after a good and thorough sanding. I bought U-POL Acid #8 in rattle cans to do the job. U-POL is a line of German body supplies and my local supplier sells a LOT of their products. Higher cost, but great results. I'm not replacing the vinyl so I'm being more picky about the end result, but you would still have to have a good finish to lay down the roof. What's the sense of redoing a beautiful OEM roof with a bunch of rust underneath?

As to the adhesive, there are so many adhesives on the market, I'm not sure what to advise. You could ask the guys at SMS what they think, or I'd check with Jean Doll on what her or Dale think. They're pretty much up on stuff like this and you can trust their advice.