New tires & rims... didn't think it'd be this hard!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rudyska, Jan 24, 2006.

1. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Hey everyone!
    I don't post here too often, but I need a little advice from you all. I've got a '72 Maverick with tires that are 205-70-14. I plan to buy new, bigger tires and get some nice rims (15") on it. I went to Discount Tire and they told me that there wasn't much of a selction for rims in 15" on a 4 lug car. They did tell me that they could fit the 15x7 American Racing Sprint wheel with 225-60-15 Road Hugger tires(all the way around). Another person suggested 235-60-15 tires (all the way around). I don't like the way my Maverick's tires look... they seem way too small, which is why I want bigger ones. So, what do you think about the American Racing sprint wheel? They don't look chrome to me, and I think that I want wheels that are chrome (shiny haha).
    [​IMG]
    I personally don't really like it but I can't really tell since I've never seen it in person or on a Maverick. Do you have any suggestions for how I can solve my dilemma for getting a bigger rim selection to choose from? They quoted me almost a thousand dollars for these rims and the tires. I'm just not very satisfied with the way they look though. If I'm going to put out the cash for this stuff, I want to make sure that I'm 100% satisfied with the look. I love the way Cragar S/S and Keystone Klassics look, but of course they don't fit on my car. Any advice would be much appreciated. By the way, I'm also 17 and I don't know too much about cars to begin with. So its really frustrating not knowing what to do!:huh: I've heard that if I convert to disc brakes that I could switch to 5 lug which would make it possible for me to get a wider selection in rims, however I'm not exactly sure if that is true and I definitely don't know how to do that.

Oh and here is a picture of my car right now. It won't be complete until I get some rims!!
    [​IMG]

2. Mav Dude

Mav Dude Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Relax, working on these cars is cake. Minimal tools and skills. If you can turn a wrench you can do this. First you have to decide. Am I keeping my Mav long term? If yes then take it slow.. You want to get your five lugs before the rims. You want to do a Spindle swap drop me a PM and I'll shoot you an email with a how to it is a word doc with pics. then you want to swap out the rear end from a V8 Mav or other ford. Dont have a how to on that but it is pretty straight forward if you have a few buddies to help. On that one remember to take the emergency brake stuff if you can.

Good luck.

3. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    do the disc and rear end conversion to 5 lug. youll be able to get a lot of different rims then, do the search for tire sizes and youll find a huge amount of data on what sizes will or wont fit and also look at the members ride pictures. not to mention the stopping power increase you get from discs.if you get the parts from a junkyard and do the swap your self, itll cost you pennies on the dollar.(y)

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I would definately swap over to a 5 lug set up. Besides getting a much better selection of wheels, you will get much better brakes.

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Man, that car is just screaming for some nice rims! Any '74-'77 Mav/Comet will have a 5 lug rear, not just V8 cars.

6. grbmaverickmo

grbmaverickmo That Maverick Guy

Vehicle:
    70 grabber.71 4dr v-8 stick.72 Sprint
    To start off nice car .For the four lug I went through the same problem .This is what I found Weld draglites ,Centerline Auto/Drags polished or satin , and Centerline ConvoPro are available in four lug.Jegs.com or SummitRacing.com You should be able to look at them.I run a 8inch rim on back with 245/60-15and 5.5 on frt with 165r-15 hope that helped.Chris

7. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    thats because they are not chrome they are alum wheels ;)

this is what they will look like.[​IMG]

they were 14x7 and 14x8s with 225/60-14s on the front and 245/60-14s on the rear. this is an old picture of my car when i was your age.. at least now your car is at least considered cool now.. :p

thats a rip off! for that price you should be able to get a nice set of polished centerlines with a 4 lugs.. either way if you get those rims you posted you can get them way cheaper though mail order... try summit racing.

btw your car looks good.. its a great start!

8. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

costs 1000 for the rims and tires... this is what you do

take a guy that you know that knows a thing or two about cars.. to a junkyard.. and get 2 front spindles.. from pretty much any ford car.. 5 lugs.. usualyl about 35-75 a piece.. then you get a rear end that has 5 lugs in it for abuot 75-200 bucks.. then you put all that on your car.. and get a few replacment parts... then you go buy the rims and tires for about 650 or so.. and you are good to go for about the same price.. but now you have disk brakes up front and nice rims and tires.

255 60 15 tires will fit no problem on a 15x8 rim (with 3.75" backspacing) in the back and in the front get a 15x7 rim with 225 60 15 or 235 60 15 tires...

good luck.. this is the setup i am currently trying to work on.. but funds are slim now that i stopped going to school..