new to body work

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by borjawil, Oct 13, 2011.

1. borjawil

borjawil Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Sprint
    hey everyone im a bit new to body work. I have begun to cut out all the rust on my front fender areas. Plenty of bondo and horrible patch work by the po. looks like he/she just put the patch over the rusted metal and so it has rusted even more. any who here are some pics of the first parts im dealing with. my main concern is how or what to do with the inner fender that has rusted. its not a flat piece and a bit hard to get to. should i remove the fender and weld from the other side? or just cut and rust proof/paint?

for the smaller holes should i just weld and grind flush?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I second that. Those fenders have alot more rust than is visible. The metal will be very thin. Not worth the time to fix. It will come through in another spot in no time. Get good used ones and bolt them on.

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Replace em...I wouldnt bother with that fender unless none were available...Fortunately, there are plenty around.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I said it in your other thread.....get different fenders. I have some if you want to drive down here.

5. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Also....how is the rust in other parts of the car? Most importantly, the front torque boxes and rear frame rails. How about the floor boards? These areas have to be addressed FIRST before we worry about front fenders and such.

6. borjawil

borjawil Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Sprint
    ive spoken with the guy selling the fenders. he wont ship so no go. the cost in gas to go there wouldnt be worth it. frame is good. floors are solid besides some small spots which i will be fixing soon. what are the torque boxes?

also craig youre not too far from me. Send me a pm with some info on them, link to pics, etc. Free is always good too!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:

I don't like PM's. Just fire me off an email (see below). I can send you a list of what have with prices. I have fenders as low as $25