No start

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by StuBronco, Aug 30, 2024.

1. StuBronco

StuBronco Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    I just removed the fuel tank on my 72, because it was loaded with rust/sludge. i used the electronic fuel pump to remove the fuel. After thouroughly cleaning and coating the inside of the tank and putting back together, the old fuel pump sounded different, very quiet. I dissasembled, cleaned and checked it. It was not too dirty but the small brushes were pretty owrn so i purchased a new pump, new braided line, "evil energy" 100 micron filter. reinstalled and it will not start. I removed the line from the fule pump, fuel is trickling out, regulator adjustment did not help. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Stuart

2. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Is the pump wired backwards?

3. StuBronco

StuBronco Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    no, I pulled vacuum from the line at the carberator to the tank and something is blocked in the line or the new sending unit, not getting any fuel out of the line.

4. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I'm confused. You have an inline pump between the tank and the carb and you're trying to suck gas from the tank, through the pump, to the carb inlet hose?

5. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Fuel going to an electric pump needs a bit of a gravity feed to get it to the pump in the first place. Did you mount the new pump higher in the car than the old pump?
    Electric fuel pumps are good a pushing fuel, not so good at sucking it.

The best discussion for this was in an old magazine, probably Car Craft. They said to get a milkshake and a straw. See how much you can pull through the straw. Then with a mouthful of milk shake, see how much you can blow out through the straw. You might want to do the second test outdoors. :eek::LOL:

Best of luck in sorting this out.