notch the stone guard, not the fender?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Dan Starnes, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I am converting my big bumper car to a small bumper car. Was wondering if there was enough room on the stone guard to notch it, rather than notch the fenders? I dont really want to notch my perfect fenders and will replace them if this has to be. When I get to be an old fart, I will put my car back to bone stock, but while I am still a youngin, I intend to push the envelope.
    aint never growin up!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dan

2. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    You have to notch the fenders ... If you dont you wont be able to mount the bumpers in there stock location ... I guess you can let them stick out some but i believe it will look odd ...

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I dont think it would work very well because the tips would be flimsy because of the size of the notch you'd have to make. Also there would be no support on the ends so they would be flapping in the breeze. Normally, the stone guard bolts to the bottom of the fender notch. The notch has nothing to do with the bumper or mounting it. Its strictly for clearance for the stone guard.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2003
  4. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    Hmmm ... I was under the impression that the notch was to clear the bumper .. WoW Im glad to know that because i was looking for a way to not cut into my fender also ... I thought it was due to bumper / fender clearance issues ... I havnt mounted my stone guard yet so what your saying is the stone guard is smaller than the fender thus notching the fender evens the two up ? Could you possibly taper the guard down and make a new lip ? I guess any thing is possible ... Dam its too dark out now to go look ... but thanks for the info Mav ...I was ready to buy new fenders

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The little bumper wraps around the outside of the fender just like the big bumper does. You could cut the ends of the stone guard off just to the inside of the fender so you dont have to notch the fenders. You would still need to attach the ends somehow for support. The other problem is you would have an good size air gap between the fender and bumper. Probably wouldnt look that good. Cutting the notch is pretty easy especially if you have an old fender to go by. I drew a quick guide. OK, an artist, I'm not

6. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    you are artist enough to get the point across. also you sparked my memory of how they were on my 72 grabber. I am going to a salvage yard down in Elsberry MO,, supposed to have lots of older stuff. I will report on what I find Mav/Comet wise.
    Thanks to both of you for your input.
    Dan

7. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    stonegaurd

I did exactly what you are asking and I have done it several times, here is how I did mine. First I took 2 jackstands and put in front of my car to hold the gaurd where it is supposed to go, then I marked the inside and outside of the fender after doing that I measured the depth to where the gaurd was to sit. I then took a die grinder and cut the notch be sure you cut it tight because you will have to trim it to fit like the fender has been notched. The gaurd bolts up to the factory holes and it does bolt to the fender under the headlight. The gaurd is strong and not flimsy as long as you take your time doing it. I had a great pair of rust free fenders that I just did not want to cut when I put them on my 70 so that is the rought I took. Either way you do it the end result will be the same as long as you take your time on trimming the fender or the stone guard:D Chandler

8. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    dan

Hey Dan I just read you are going to Elsberry I live in Warrenton, that is 30 miles past Troy Mo on Hwy 47 maybe sometime we can hook up. Chandler :)

9. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    Bumper Perspective

Big vs. Small

10. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    Notch vs. No-Notch

11. Warlock_Mav

Warlock_Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    looks like the two mighty calfs are going head to head here... my moneys on the big bumper.