oil pan hitting stabilizer arm.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by toastalo, Feb 1, 2011.

1. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    Hey im trying to drop a 351W into my 73 comet. Im having troubles with the oil pan hitting on the stabilizer arm in the front. Ive tried an oil pan from a truck and few other models and nothing seems to work out. I am curious if there is an oil pan that will work or if perhaps the stabilizer arm can be replaced or cut and modified or what i need to do. If there are any suggestions please let me know...

2. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    We didn't have this problem with a '72 Comet.

[​IMG]

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Are you useing a front sump oil pan??? If you are trying to use a mustang dual sump pan or a truck pan... It will not work....You need a front sump pan.

4. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    sump oil pan

Well I might not be fully schooled on the jargon, but the oil pan i have, the lower portion of the oil pan is in the front. I pulled it from a 351W out of a 74 LTD, but it seems that it will hit the stabilizer bar. It is only 7 inches from the motor mounts on the car to the stabilizer bar, and on the motor it is 9 inches from the mounts to the front of the pan... the pan is about 9 inches deep, is there a more shallow pan or perhaps a different bar that can be used?

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    You need one like this, the sump is at the front
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    oil pan

Is there a different oil pan from the one i found from a truck? i havent found an oil pan that sumps on the transmission end that doesnt hit all the steering mechanics? ive gotten hold of three different oil pans that fit, one that sumps in the front, one that sumps in the front and the back, and one that sumps in the front, but the sump in the front hits the stabilizer bar and the sump in the back hits the steering mechanics, the sump on both hits both... i need a little advice...

7. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Newer small blocks, have different pans, since at least 84??

8. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    I may be wrong but I thought a car front sump pan worked. It's close but the one I saw fit.

9. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
  10. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    No...I'm wrong. I just looked at a picture of mine....it's been a long day :)
    [​IMG]

11. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    Hey mercgt that sounds a lot like my problem, but I haven't replaced any of the parts mentioned,and the sway bar isn't rubbing the balancer, the oil pan sets ontop of it. If it were possible to cut the bar and move it foward even two inches there would be clearance. I have seen an oil pan online that sumps in the front but has a downward angle slant towards the drain plug, found for an econoline 351w 87-93.If the motor is moved back the trannie hits the fire wall,if up the fan and or breather hits the hood, foward does no good either. The motor mounts are correct on both car and motor. I need either a different oil pan or different sway bar, perhaps different mounts, or maybe just a little wisdom... I don't know:(

12. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    Hey I saw that picture, that looks like the same exact oil pan I have, is the motor in? What kind of clearance do you have? Do I need specific mounts for the 351w? What kind and how did the trannie fit? I am curious...

13. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Are you useing V-8 Maverick frame stands???(the steel parts the motor mounts bolt to on the towers) You may have them backwards or they may be incorrect IE: From a mustang...
    I have a 351 in my Sprint and have no issues with the swaybar hitting anything. The engine is taller than a 302 so...Depending on the type of intake/air filter housing you are useing you may have hood clearance issues.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  14. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    I might not have the right mounts, I myself pulled out a straight six of the comet, the mechanic, pretty good friend, that worked on it before I bought it says it held a 289 at one point... I'm not sure what they have done, I haven't changed the car mounts...

15. toastalo

toastalo Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    Hey guys I have another question, i found the brackets i need to swap the 6 cylinder to the 351w but im not sure about the motor mounts i got from the part store. Does anyone have a clear picture of the mounts that is required? The ones i have are H shaped and i believe they are for a big block 351... Can anyone lend a little knowledge?