Omni or Nason?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ESampson, May 17, 2013.

1. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    for those who have shot both (yes cheap paint i know) which one covers better and came out as a better job? if you had a choice between these two which would you choose to shoot? the price difference omni being 450 and nason being 480..6Quarts of base and a gallon of clear and everything else with it. the price is under 500 which i was hoping for so i dont care really whcih one it is..just trying to figure out what is better! seems like more people hate omni though.

Will be bc/cc and color is black..

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    A friend shot his brother's Comet Torch Red with cheap Valspar. Ended up using 9 quarts and still needed more paint to cover the primer. He said it would had been cheaper to buy quality paint and use less paint. Without quoting all the cuss words, he also said that he will not use that paint again. He ended up with a 10 footer paint job...if that close. You get what you pay for

3. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    yes, i realize you get what you pay for..but valspar...well it's valspar and super cheap..i could always spray my car with a single stage heavy equiptment paint for like 80 dollars..stuffs so thick and hard it would cover a whole car including jambs & undersides with gallon..and actually shines as well, but thats not what i was really looking for. (i've painted a bunch of 4x4 trucks with it) you would be suprised how nice it is. but i'm looking for a nice driver paint job that im not ashamed of.

4. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    I'm not a painter...All I know is what I've been told...Run away from Valspar. Maybe someone will chime in and point you in the right direction with the choice of name brand you asked about. Good luck on your project.

5. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    As I have said before.... peoples attitudes about paint is the same as it is with cars. It's the Ford vs Chevy thing. Some will like one brand, while others will hate it.

To me the one decision you should be making is based on availability, as well as service/ information/support you will be getting from where ever it is you will purchase the paint from.

Those are the most important things here. The products themselves are what they are. Both are a "value priced" product. Each comes with its good and bad. But the answers to the above questions should make your decision for you. Not based on what other peoples experiences are. They may have had different results based on many factors.

My $.02 worth of advice. Good luck....

Glenn

6. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick 302/auto
    I would go with OMNI, it worked well for me. It was the clear coat that screwed me up, just make sure you have plenty of lighting. Which I didn't have.
    But if you can afford the better stuff go for it.

7. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    i think i really just have to give omni a shot on my car atleast..how bad can it really be..ppg sells it. i think i've been looking into this a little to much and trying to rely on others information, ill gve it a go and see how it turns out for me.
    i just need to find out what method i should spray..like should i spray underside of hood/trunk and all my misc pieces, mirror's, extensions, taillights and all that stuff maybe valences as well. then how long do i have to wait to flop the hood and trunk over to spray the other side? i dont have anything to hang these on..for everything else i've pretty much built racks to hold fenders and then the doors will be layed down on small table like things as well.

and the lighting..i have a fair bit..10 4 bulb T-8 lights in the roof with light reflecting valences and 4 more singles on the walls...should be enough

the paint code i was thinking of..is ferarri 95150? it's a gloss black no metalic..i believe thats the number off the top my head.

8. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    Non metallic will help you a lot. Being a dark color still is hard to do.
    As for wait time to flip over I would wait 2-3 days, just to help cure and gives you a day to color sand it needed.
    Remember when doing the exterior main pieces you want to do them all at once. It gives a better match. So do the underside and misc pieces first.
    You might need more then 6 qts though to do everything. As it does lay thin, Will be close that is for sure.
    The hardest part will be the clear, I got solvent pop doing mine. As with a dark color you will see this very easily. So take your time with the clear.
    And you will need to color sand and buff. Once again take your time and you will be fine.
    This is what it will look like before clear.
    [​IMG]

And after clear.

[​IMG]

Then with color sanding and buffing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still has imperfections, but looks great from 5-10 ft away. If looking close you can see the mess ups. lol.
    Good luck to you. As it is a lot of work.

9. John Holden

John Holden Member

What's the difference in cost between the cheap stuff and the good stuff? I believe Dennis is te name if the fellow on here with the grabber green 71 grabber. His car is painted with single stage nasan. Ask him how he likes it. I painted my engine compartment with the same. Seems like pretty good stuff and lays down well and has a nice shine.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  10. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    Depends on what you want in paint.
    But the difference can be $500 - $2000 a gallon. No kidding!!!
    My friend is having his VW bus painted with House of Color, and for two gallons he spent $3000 on color alone. Now this is going to be show quality and is having a pro paint it. But that is what the difference in price can be.

11. John Holden

John Holden Member

I'd love to see pics of that bus when it's done! I wasn't referring to the high end paint though. Just the next step up in quality.

12. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    i'm going to look into that price difference..but i think it'll be a massive difference..if not ill get the better stuff, but from what i've heard (what people said, so who knows) that it's very expensive.. but some people think 500 bucks for paint it also ridiculous when i think it's a good deal.

13. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    so mad right now..the guy down where i buy my stuff pissed me right off..didn't want to look into anything for me expecially paint..hes not the paint guy but hes 1 of 2 managers..hes mad due to the fact i payed for 3 nitrous kits and he couldn't get them in stock for 2 months so i got my refund and he lost out on his commission. so he told me ppg makes 90% of their paints as waterbased..is this true? then i asked well what do they have that isn't water based, he said "omni' and picked up his phone...great day. so i left without a price on PPG and no idea if they make a urethane bc/cc

14. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    That just plain sucks. What a jerk.

Because you are in Canada I can't speak for what is legal. But here in the states PPG can sell and make any one of a number of paint lines..DBC, DBU, Omni, Global, and the water base- EHP.

15. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    It's all due to the VOC's. if you are VOC compliant, and can prove it you can buy anything you want, but the doushey people that work at the counter seem to be real dinks anymore. The place I bought all my supplies for years, was bought out by Car Quest, and they know I don't like them there, since the guy tried to charge me 149.00 for a water pump.....I actually went to high school with the guy..so I will drive to Michigan to get what I need.