Original Paint Job

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by riporter, Nov 8, 2003.

1. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    For those of us that have an original paint job that would like to restore the finish I've found a remarkable product by 3M.
    Its a professional grade Rubbing compound used with a glazing compound.
    It MUST be used like the instructions say, with the Rubbing and Buffing pads they make.
    Im using a orbital Air Sander to attach the pads to.
    The paint job on my Mav is 33 years old and I dare say it shines like it was new.
    I tried hand applied compounds and they did Ok.... but this stuff is amazing... I'll post a pic when Im done...it is a slow process but well worth it.:clap:

2. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    How about posting specifics about these products, like the exact product name and possibly 3M stock number off the containers so we may be able to ask for the correct item at the body shop supply. 3M makes quite a few finishing items and there might be some similar items than the exact ones you're praising.

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I am going to guess the 3M system is the Perfect IT II. I went to a seminar on it about 3 years ago. I am still using it and have found nothing that will equal it. Great on color sanding and great on bringing old paint jobs back to life like Riporter is experiencing. Hope you can post some before and after pics.
    Dan
    ps
    Wardf sells wizard products and turned me onto them at the Roundup. Absolutely the best variety of products I have ever seen. Everything I have used has been very easy to use and the outcome is fantastic. Thanks dude for showing me that stuff!!!
    Dan

4. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Dan is right...it is the Perfect It series. I got mine at the local NAPA store, this particular NAPA store is geared toward refinishing paint jobs but any NAPA store has access to it.

Hey Dan...did you get any tips at the seminar not offered on the directions?

I did a side by side comparison on the trunklid comparing Turtle wax hand applied compounds to the 3M...in a word...AMAZING
    I'll post some pics soon.
    Im using an dual action orbital air sander with the pads at about 1800 rpms.
    Rick

5. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Here are some before and after pics... kinda hard to tell because of the lighting and the white color...look at the reflection of the door in the finish:clap:

before

6. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    after

7. Wilbur Green

Wilbur Green Member

Vehicle:
    76Stallion, 762dr.
    Dan has it right on the wizard products i got some from wardf at the roundup to the mist & shine is great used it on the blue 76 really seemed to change the look of the paint got awards at 3 out 4 shows we went to after using it. Thanks Ward.