Paint chip(s), paint touch up

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mashori, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I did a search but couldn't find anything about this. I googled stuff but got some mixed info so ya'll can be my tiebreaker :yup:

So my maverick has some paint chips here and there and some have been touched up and there are some that have exposed metal. Only one spot has a bit of surface rust already on the chip that I just noticed.

What's the proper method of fixing these areas. Most are less than 1/4" diameter. No dings to repair. The paint is white but I think it's more of an off white, like a little darker than white.

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Best bet is to get a pint of lacquer in the appropriate color wimbeldon white in your case(dont know the color code)should be on your tag in the door jamb.
    Remove all traces of grime/wax etc with an appropriate surface prep solvent.
    clean the chips out as best you can...lightly sand chips with 1500 grit paper to soften their edges.Apply lacquer with a small paint brush(thin coates) build the area up over time to the same level as the rest of the paint.Once again lightly sand with 1500 grit paper and then rub out areas with rubbing compound to restore gloss.Chips should be hard to spot afterwards.it is a slow process though...you have to allow each coat of paint to dry before applying the next coat.Hope this helps...good luck.
    Or you could just buy some touch up paint and do the same thing.

3. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    that doesn't sound too bad, just gonna take some time. How long is a good waiting time between coats?

4. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Depends on the type of paint used.Lacquer you can re coat allmost immediately on a hot day.The lacquer touch up paints in the little bottles...about 10 minutes between coats as long as the coats are thin.

5. 1973Maverick357

1973Maverick357 Cooler then a Camaro

Vehicle:
    1976 stallion,1973 2dr mav,1975 2 dr comet,1964 F100,1970 Mav Grabber
    They have places where they can set a machine on your car get the color code and you can get the paint exactly or very close.