Paint color question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jean Doll, May 28, 2013.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I usually don't have a problem figuring out Ford color codes, but this one has me stumped. A friend of ours dropped off a '75 Maverick that he wants to do a quickie paint job on so he can re-sell the car. It's actually a very late '74 Canadian car. He wants to keep it the same color, but to me the color code is kind of odd. The code is 5MGK. I know the 5M is Med. Copper which the car is now, but what does the GK stand for? I have tried looking it up but have found nothing helpful. Anyone have any ideas? BTW, the car has been poorly repainted in the past, but the color appears to be correct.

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Vinyl top code...

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Yeppers.....:thumbs2:

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Sure enough the car did have a vinyl top at one time. Thanks for cluing me in on that guys. Who ever painted it did a pretty good job of removing it, but after a bit of prying I found traces of it under the drip rail. I haven't really looked the car over very much, but someone shoehorned a 351 Windsor under the hood and installed a posi- rear underneath along with a dual exhaust. Body wise the car is pretty clean but who knows what's lurking under the paint. The car even has a rear defroster that still works. It has the tooled vinyl bench seat interior in tan that is showing plenty of wear and the headliner is more duct tape than anything else. The guy plans to take out the Windsor and drop in another Windsor he's having built that will push 700 HP. Why such a hot engine I don't know but he thinks he's going to make BIG bucks off this car. He's going to reinforce the frame to keep it from twisting and add a whole bunch of improvements to make it a street legal race car . Now that I know it
    had a vinyl top I know he'll never put it back on.

5. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    unless he does nearly all the work himself on that build.. he probably won't make as much as he thinks he will.

oh well.. I guess there's not much use in trying to burst his bubble if he's not a really close friend or related to you. He'll figure it out... eventually.

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    yep...he's just paying her for a quickie paint job (does painting faster cost less) , that alone should null any profit much less the motor expense...:yup:

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Dont remove the drip rail to remove the remnants of the vinyl top. The drip rail trim is larger to wrap around the vinyl. So if you remove it, it will be too big to snap back on.

8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I have heard this as well, but when I removed my trim on my orange car (former vinyl top removed by me), the trim went right back on with no problems.